FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Samuel 13:1
So I said, “The Philistines are ready to march against us . . . . So I felt
compelled to offer the burnt offering myself before you came” (v.12).
Cyclist Tyler Hamilton had steadily advanced
through the ranks of the US Postal Service team,
and now he was on the verge of being included
on the squad that would race in the Tour de France. All
he had to do was take EPO, an illegal drug that boosted
endurance for the grueling mountain climbs. Hamilton
told the team doctor that he needed time to think about it.
Later, the cyclist shared what was going through his
mind. “I was so close to the goal, I’ve gotta do it . . .
I kinda felt like I owed it to myself to look the other way
and keep going forward,” Hamilton admitted. Another
team member, Frankie Andreu, claimed that doping was
the only way to keep pace with the other dirty cyclists.
“You kind of didn’t have a choice,” he said. “If you
weren’t taking EPO, you weren’t going to win.”
Like King Saul who shrank under stress and disobeyed,
these men talked themselves into doing what they knew
was wrong. They had reached the highest echelon
of their sport, but their excuses for cheating sounded
childlike. They caved to peer pressure—“Everyone
else is doing it,” “We can’t compete without it”; and to
selfishness—“I deserve this,” “I owe it to myself to do
whatever it takes to win.”
Peer pressure (“I saw my men scattering from me,”
1 Samuel 1:11) and selfishness (“I haven’t even asked
for the Lord’s help!” v.12) contributed to Saul’s sin, and
they often tempt us. Do we spend money on what everyone else buys, mainly
because they’re buying it? Do we watch movies or visit websites that we know
are bad for us, but we excuse them on the grounds that our friends do?
If you truly want to follow Jesus, you must be willing to be different.
Read James 1:12 to learn where temptation comes from and how
you can defeat it.
Maturity comes at varying paces in different places. In what
area of your life do you need to act more like an adult and less like a
child? How does your faith in Jesus encourage you to step it up?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more