Generous HeartsHave you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?
Top Christian Music Videos
1 Samuel 13:1
So I said, “The Philistines are ready to march against us . . . . So I felt
compelled to offer the burnt offering myself before you came” (v.12).
Cyclist Tyler Hamilton had steadily advanced
through the ranks of the US Postal Service team,
and now he was on the verge of being included
on the squad that would race in the Tour de France. All
he had to do was take EPO, an illegal drug that boosted
endurance for the grueling mountain climbs. Hamilton
told the team doctor that he needed time to think about it.
Later, the cyclist shared what was going through his
mind. “I was so close to the goal, I’ve gotta do it . . .
I kinda felt like I owed it to myself to look the other way
and keep going forward,” Hamilton admitted. Another
team member, Frankie Andreu, claimed that doping was
the only way to keep pace with the other dirty cyclists.
“You kind of didn’t have a choice,” he said. “If you
weren’t taking EPO, you weren’t going to win.”
Like King Saul who shrank under stress and disobeyed,
these men talked themselves into doing what they knew
was wrong. They had reached the highest echelon
of their sport, but their excuses for cheating sounded
childlike. They caved to peer pressure—“Everyone
else is doing it,” “We can’t compete without it”; and to
selfishness—“I deserve this,” “I owe it to myself to do
whatever it takes to win.”
Peer pressure (“I saw my men scattering from me,”
1 Samuel 1:11) and selfishness (“I haven’t even asked
for the Lord’s help!” v.12) contributed to Saul’s sin, and
they often tempt us. Do we spend money on what everyone else buys, mainly
because they’re buying it? Do we watch movies or visit websites that we know
are bad for us, but we excuse them on the grounds that our friends do?
If you truly want to follow Jesus, you must be willing to be different.
Read James 1:12 to learn where temptation comes from and how
you can defeat it.
Maturity comes at varying paces in different places. In what
area of your life do you need to act more like an adult and less like a
child? How does your faith in Jesus encourage you to step it up?
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more