Next StepsHave you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?
Top Christian Music Videos
Clothe yourselves . . . with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God (v.4).
Some 30,000 people recently were informed that they weren’t as attractive as they thought. This image-shattering news came courtesy of the staff of a cyber dating service for “beautiful men and women.” The staff dropped the gasping group (and their glamour shots) from its ranks because they simply didn’t make the cut. A spokesman for the site said, “We can’t just sweep 30,000 ugly people under the carpet.” Oooh, not nice.
I’m glad that God doesn’t view us with the fickle, subjective gaze of a human being. He sees true beauty in the character—the essence—of those who color their world with His glory. The apostle Paul wrote to Christian wives, “Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God” (1 Peter 3:3, italics added for emphasis).
Was Paul ‘thumbs down’ on all jewelry and hairdos? No, he was making a point: Beauty from the inside is what God desires. The very ‘fabric’ of our lives should reflect purity, reverence and holiness (vv.2-5). As we clothe ourselves with these things, we’re doing “what God has called [us] to do” (v.9; compare Galatians 3:27).
Now, you might be thinking, Well, my personality is stronger than “gentle” and more loud than “quiet.” God understands; He gave you your personality. As you seek to become more and more like Jesus, He will mould you into the beautiful person He created you to be.
The people who were removed from the dating site—and all of us—need to remember these words: “Beauty does not last; but a [person] who fears the Lord will be greatly praised” (Proverbs 31:30). Let’s pursue true beauty—God and His glory radiating from within us.
Read 1 Timothy 2:9 and note Paul’s instructions for how to make yourself truly attractive.
How can you become more beautiful in God’s eyes? Why is inner beauty so much more important to God than subjective physical beauty?
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more