Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
Clothe yourselves . . . with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God (v.4).
Some 30,000 people recently were informed that they weren’t as attractive as they thought. This image-shattering news came courtesy of the staff of a cyber dating service for “beautiful men and women.” The staff dropped the gasping group (and their glamour shots) from its ranks because they simply didn’t make the cut. A spokesman for the site said, “We can’t just sweep 30,000 ugly people under the carpet.” Oooh, not nice.
I’m glad that God doesn’t view us with the fickle, subjective gaze of a human being. He sees true beauty in the character—the essence—of those who color their world with His glory. The apostle Paul wrote to Christian wives, “Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God” (1 Peter 3:3, italics added for emphasis).
Was Paul ‘thumbs down’ on all jewelry and hairdos? No, he was making a point: Beauty from the inside is what God desires. The very ‘fabric’ of our lives should reflect purity, reverence and holiness (vv.2-5). As we clothe ourselves with these things, we’re doing “what God has called [us] to do” (v.9; compare Galatians 3:27).
Now, you might be thinking, Well, my personality is stronger than “gentle” and more loud than “quiet.” God understands; He gave you your personality. As you seek to become more and more like Jesus, He will mould you into the beautiful person He created you to be.
The people who were removed from the dating site—and all of us—need to remember these words: “Beauty does not last; but a [person] who fears the Lord will be greatly praised” (Proverbs 31:30). Let’s pursue true beauty—God and His glory radiating from within us.
Read 1 Timothy 2:9 and note Paul’s instructions for how to make yourself truly attractive.
How can you become more beautiful in God’s eyes? Why is inner beauty so much more important to God than subjective physical beauty?
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more