Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
Clothe yourselves . . . with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God (v.4).
Some 30,000 people recently were informed that they weren’t as attractive as they thought. This image-shattering news came courtesy of the staff of a cyber dating service for “beautiful men and women.” The staff dropped the gasping group (and their glamour shots) from its ranks because they simply didn’t make the cut. A spokesman for the site said, “We can’t just sweep 30,000 ugly people under the carpet.” Oooh, not nice.
I’m glad that God doesn’t view us with the fickle, subjective gaze of a human being. He sees true beauty in the character—the essence—of those who color their world with His glory. The apostle Paul wrote to Christian wives, “Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God” (1 Peter 3:3, italics added for emphasis).
Was Paul ‘thumbs down’ on all jewelry and hairdos? No, he was making a point: Beauty from the inside is what God desires. The very ‘fabric’ of our lives should reflect purity, reverence and holiness (vv.2-5). As we clothe ourselves with these things, we’re doing “what God has called [us] to do” (v.9; compare Galatians 3:27).
Now, you might be thinking, Well, my personality is stronger than “gentle” and more loud than “quiet.” God understands; He gave you your personality. As you seek to become more and more like Jesus, He will mould you into the beautiful person He created you to be.
The people who were removed from the dating site—and all of us—need to remember these words: “Beauty does not last; but a [person] who fears the Lord will be greatly praised” (Proverbs 31:30). Let’s pursue true beauty—God and His glory radiating from within us.
Read 1 Timothy 2:9 and note Paul’s instructions for how to make yourself truly attractive.
How can you become more beautiful in God’s eyes? Why is inner beauty so much more important to God than subjective physical beauty?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more