Are You Proud of Me?God loves us and is proud to call us His children.
Top Christian Music Videos
Clothe yourselves . . . with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God (v.4).
Some 30,000 people recently were informed that they weren’t as attractive as they thought. This image-shattering news came courtesy of the staff of a cyber dating service for “beautiful men and women.” The staff dropped the gasping group (and their glamour shots) from its ranks because they simply didn’t make the cut. A spokesman for the site said, “We can’t just sweep 30,000 ugly people under the carpet.” Oooh, not nice.
I’m glad that God doesn’t view us with the fickle, subjective gaze of a human being. He sees true beauty in the character—the essence—of those who color their world with His glory. The apostle Paul wrote to Christian wives, “Don’t be concerned about the outward beauty of fancy hairstyles, expensive jewelry, or beautiful clothes. You should clothe yourselves instead with the beauty that comes from within, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is so precious to God” (1 Peter 3:3, italics added for emphasis).
Was Paul ‘thumbs down’ on all jewelry and hairdos? No, he was making a point: Beauty from the inside is what God desires. The very ‘fabric’ of our lives should reflect purity, reverence and holiness (vv.2-5). As we clothe ourselves with these things, we’re doing “what God has called [us] to do” (v.9; compare Galatians 3:27).
Now, you might be thinking, Well, my personality is stronger than “gentle” and more loud than “quiet.” God understands; He gave you your personality. As you seek to become more and more like Jesus, He will mould you into the beautiful person He created you to be.
The people who were removed from the dating site—and all of us—need to remember these words: “Beauty does not last; but a [person] who fears the Lord will be greatly praised” (Proverbs 31:30). Let’s pursue true beauty—God and His glory radiating from within us.
Read 1 Timothy 2:9 and note Paul’s instructions for how to make yourself truly attractive.
How can you become more beautiful in God’s eyes? Why is inner beauty so much more important to God than subjective physical beauty?
- Are You Proud of Me? - God loves us and is proud to call us His children....read more
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more