View from a DistanceWhy is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?
Top Christian Music Videos
New Way To Be Human
Put on your new nature, created to be like God (v.24).
Last year, my wife Miska and I traveled to London.
We enjoyed the standard sights (Westminster Abbey
was a favorite), but mainly we spent our days
walking the neighborhoods, visiting shops and cafes,
soaking in a different way of life. We noticed how
drinking tea provided a daily rhythm, how remarkably
peaceful a subway (or tube, as they call it) station could
be. At Portobello Market, we saw shopkeepers close their
doors so they could enjoy 20 minutes of quiet. Other
cultures demonstrate new ways of living in our world.
On a broader scale, this is precisely what the Bible
offers. Scripture provides an invitation into another way
to live—a better way of being human. The way of life
the Bible describes does not make us less active or less
engaged with our world (as though we are merely surviving
until God evacuates us). Rather, embracing God’s life
makes us more engaged with our world—more the person
God created us to be. Paul put it this way: “everything . . .
connected with that old way of life has to go. . . . Get rid
of it! And then take on an entirely new way of life—a Godfashioned
life” (vv.22,24 The Message).
And this new life is immersed in everyday stuff, human
stuff: marriages, relationships, work—life. There’s nothing
abstract or theoretical here. God gives straightforward
wisdom, emphasizing the basics. Nothing flashy—but all
very human. Paul says we should “stop telling lies” (v.25).
We should keep anger in check (v.26). And—I love this—Paul insists that anyone
who steals should simply “quit” (v.28). We should speak and live with kindness,
have tender hearts, and always be quick to forgive (v.32).
I wonder what our world would be like if we truly embraced God’s way of
being human. —Winn Collier
Turn to Ephesians 5:1.
Note how Paul continues his discussion of human relationships and ways of
living. How does God’s new way of life affect the many ways people relate?
What are your normal habits and patterns? How does God’s
invitation to a new way of being human transform your view of real life?
- View from a Distance - Why is it easy to lose sight of the future God has promised you?...read more
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more