Tender HeartsHow can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?
Top Christian Music Videos
When Jesus returned to the temple and began teaching, the leading
priests and elders came up to Him and demanded, “By what
authority are you doing all these things?” (v.23).
A recent televised interview captured my attention.
The author of a controversial book kept
responding to questions by saying, “That’s a
great question.” And then he would orbit that “great
question” without ever landing on an answer.
Jesus surely frustrated the “interviewers” who came
to see Him in Matthew 21:1. “By what authority are you
doing all these things?” they demanded to know (v.23).
The Lord promised to answer them if they would first
answer His question: “Did John’s authority to baptize
come from heaven, or was it merely human?” (v.24).
Jesus wasn’t hiding behind a muddy stream of words.
He wanted to show the religious leaders how spiritually
lost they were. So He told them stories and asked more
questions to help them see their condition (vv.28-44).
But they chose to hate Jesus all the more. Later that same
week they would crucify Him.
The Bible shows us a remarkable contrast between the
questions Jesus asked and those that His enemy posed.
In Genesis 3:1, the serpent subtly planted a seed of doubt
in Eve’s mind: “Did God really say you must not eat
the fruit from any of the trees in the garden?” (v.1). The
question was not designed to bring clarity but to cloud
the issue. Adam and Eve’s response to it introduced the
curse of death into our now-broken world.
The fact that we live in a dying world poses a question
for all of us: How will we be reconciled to God? Are we with the “tax collectors
and prostitutes” who repented? (Matthew 21:32). Or are we with the religious
leaders who refused to believe Jesus and had Him crucified? Our answer makes
all the difference in the world.
Read Genesis 3:1 to see how the serpent used
a question to lead Adam and Eve away from God.
How do you use questions? To confuse the issue? To bring clarity? To
glean information? Why is it vital for us to use questions that glorify God
and reveal His truth?
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more