Tongues AfireWhen have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?
Top Music Videos
A recent article in National Geographic Magazine
published remarkable images of climbers as they
scaled the sheer rock face of Yosemite’s 2,916-
ft. (889 meters) El Capitan. Astonishingly, some of the
climbers make portions of the ascent without safety
ropes in a death-taunting exercise known as “free solo.”
These guys literally live on the edge.
Some of the most hard-core climbers don’t seem to have
much of a life beyond their pursuit of the next adrenaline
rush. They feed their addiction to climbing with money
gained from bottle returns and whatever additional means
of support they can scrounge up. It’s amazing what you
can sacrifice when you have a single focus.
We might call it madness, but Jesus challenges us to
have a single focus that resembles this level of dedication.
When a wealthy young man approached Him with the
question, “What must I do to inherit eternal life?” (Mark
10:17), Jesus put his finger on the one thing keeping the
man from God. “Go and sell all your possessions and
give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in
Peter, perhaps sanctimoniously, interjected, “We’ve
given up everything to follow You” (v.28). Jesus replied,
“Everyone who has given up house or brothers or
sisters or mother or father or children or property, for
My sake and for the good news, will receive now in
return a hundred times as many houses, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and
property—along with persecution” (vv.29-30).
Jesus’ challenge to us is to be as radically dedicated as a free-solo climber
focused only on his climb. But we don’t do this solo. We have the promise of the
Holy Spirit to help us each painstaking inch of the way (John 16:7,13). That’s real
life—fulfilling and free—on the edge.
What light does Luke 9:57 shed on today’s read?
What causes some of us to push the limits of nature while the rest of
us recoil in horror? What makes you feel alive? Why? How will you
sharpen your focus on following Jesus this week?
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more
- You're Called - Are you dissatisfied with your present calling?...read more