Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
A recent article in National Geographic Magazine
published remarkable images of climbers as they
scaled the sheer rock face of Yosemite’s 2,916-
ft. (889 meters) El Capitan. Astonishingly, some of the
climbers make portions of the ascent without safety
ropes in a death-taunting exercise known as “free solo.”
These guys literally live on the edge.
Some of the most hard-core climbers don’t seem to have
much of a life beyond their pursuit of the next adrenaline
rush. They feed their addiction to climbing with money
gained from bottle returns and whatever additional means
of support they can scrounge up. It’s amazing what you
can sacrifice when you have a single focus.
We might call it madness, but Jesus challenges us to
have a single focus that resembles this level of dedication.
When a wealthy young man approached Him with the
question, “What must I do to inherit eternal life?” (Mark
10:17), Jesus put his finger on the one thing keeping the
man from God. “Go and sell all your possessions and
give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in
Peter, perhaps sanctimoniously, interjected, “We’ve
given up everything to follow You” (v.28). Jesus replied,
“Everyone who has given up house or brothers or
sisters or mother or father or children or property, for
My sake and for the good news, will receive now in
return a hundred times as many houses, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and
property—along with persecution” (vv.29-30).
Jesus’ challenge to us is to be as radically dedicated as a free-solo climber
focused only on his climb. But we don’t do this solo. We have the promise of the
Holy Spirit to help us each painstaking inch of the way (John 16:7,13). That’s real
life—fulfilling and free—on the edge.
What light does Luke 9:57 shed on today’s read?
What causes some of us to push the limits of nature while the rest of
us recoil in horror? What makes you feel alive? Why? How will you
sharpen your focus on following Jesus this week?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more