Rich in Good WorksHow can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?
Top Music Videos
A recent article in National Geographic Magazine
published remarkable images of climbers as they
scaled the sheer rock face of Yosemite’s 2,916-
ft. (889 meters) El Capitan. Astonishingly, some of the
climbers make portions of the ascent without safety
ropes in a death-taunting exercise known as “free solo.”
These guys literally live on the edge.
Some of the most hard-core climbers don’t seem to have
much of a life beyond their pursuit of the next adrenaline
rush. They feed their addiction to climbing with money
gained from bottle returns and whatever additional means
of support they can scrounge up. It’s amazing what you
can sacrifice when you have a single focus.
We might call it madness, but Jesus challenges us to
have a single focus that resembles this level of dedication.
When a wealthy young man approached Him with the
question, “What must I do to inherit eternal life?” (Mark
10:17), Jesus put his finger on the one thing keeping the
man from God. “Go and sell all your possessions and
give the money to the poor, and you will have treasure in
Peter, perhaps sanctimoniously, interjected, “We’ve
given up everything to follow You” (v.28). Jesus replied,
“Everyone who has given up house or brothers or
sisters or mother or father or children or property, for
My sake and for the good news, will receive now in
return a hundred times as many houses, brothers, sisters, mothers, children, and
property—along with persecution” (vv.29-30).
Jesus’ challenge to us is to be as radically dedicated as a free-solo climber
focused only on his climb. But we don’t do this solo. We have the promise of the
Holy Spirit to help us each painstaking inch of the way (John 16:7,13). That’s real
life—fulfilling and free—on the edge.
What light does Luke 9:57 shed on today’s read?
What causes some of us to push the limits of nature while the rest of
us recoil in horror? What makes you feel alive? Why? How will you
sharpen your focus on following Jesus this week?
- Rich in Good Works - How can you encourage other believers in Jesus to “be rich in good works”?...read more
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more