Top Christian Music Videos
For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love (v.13).
A comedian once mused that he wished someone would make a GPS for husbands. He said something like this: GPS: “Compliment your wife’s appearance.” Comedian: “Hey, honey, you look really good.” GPS: “Ask her about her day.” Comedian: “How was your day, sweetheart?” GPS: “Pretend to be listening.” Comedian: “Oh . . . Really . . .” GPS: “Flatter your wife.” Comedian: “Um . . . Hey, you’re gonna look really good once you put all your make-up on.” GPS: “Recalculating.”
The Bible is much, much more than a GPS. But it does record that Jesus dropped many GPS-like directives. They help us recalculate how relationships should work now that He has come. Here are a few: “Love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!” (Matthew 5:44); “Do to others as you would have them do to you” (Luke 6:31); “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven” (6:37); “There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent” (24:47).
The life, death, and resurrection of Jesus opened a new way of relating to others and to God. The fallen way of selfishness, revenge, and pride was replaced with His kingdom ways of love, grace, and humility. Jesus spent His ministry announcing and demonstrating this good news. As His followers, we declare the same good news that Jesus’ kingdom has come. It touches the hearts of people every time we treat those around us with respect, mercy, and compassion.
As theologian N. T. Wright puts it, “It’s a way nobody’s ever tried before, a way that is as unthinkable to most human beings and societies as—well, as resurrection itself. Precisely. That’s the point. Welcome to Jesus’ new world!”
Read Matthew 22:37 and note the keys to relating well to God and others.
Where do you need to recalculate the way you relate to others? In what ways do Jesus’ commands about how to relate to others seem truly radical?
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more
- Real Faith - Read 1 Peter 1:6-9 and consider how real faith is tested and refined....read more
- Needs Met - What hungers do you think God most wants to satisfy in your life?...read more