Next StepsHave you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?
Top Christian Music Videos
For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love (v.13).
A comedian once mused that he wished someone would make a GPS for husbands. He said something like this: GPS: “Compliment your wife’s appearance.” Comedian: “Hey, honey, you look really good.” GPS: “Ask her about her day.” Comedian: “How was your day, sweetheart?” GPS: “Pretend to be listening.” Comedian: “Oh . . . Really . . .” GPS: “Flatter your wife.” Comedian: “Um . . . Hey, you’re gonna look really good once you put all your make-up on.” GPS: “Recalculating.”
The Bible is much, much more than a GPS. But it does record that Jesus dropped many GPS-like directives. They help us recalculate how relationships should work now that He has come. Here are a few: “Love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!” (Matthew 5:44); “Do to others as you would have them do to you” (Luke 6:31); “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven” (6:37); “There is forgiveness of sins for all who repent” (24:47).
The life, death, and resurrection of Jesus opened a new way of relating to others and to God. The fallen way of selfishness, revenge, and pride was replaced with His kingdom ways of love, grace, and humility. Jesus spent His ministry announcing and demonstrating this good news. As His followers, we declare the same good news that Jesus’ kingdom has come. It touches the hearts of people every time we treat those around us with respect, mercy, and compassion.
As theologian N. T. Wright puts it, “It’s a way nobody’s ever tried before, a way that is as unthinkable to most human beings and societies as—well, as resurrection itself. Precisely. That’s the point. Welcome to Jesus’ new world!”
Read Matthew 22:37 and note the keys to relating well to God and others.
Where do you need to recalculate the way you relate to others? In what ways do Jesus’ commands about how to relate to others seem truly radical?
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more