Laying Our Lives DownHow has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?
Top Music Videos
Thanks, But No Thanks
Let us build with you, for we worship your God just as you do (v.2).
A Christian school for autistic children received a donation from a corporation. After making sure that there were no strings attached, the school accepted the money. Later, the corporation requested to have representation on the school’s board of directors. The head of the school returned the money. She refused to mix school governance with secular values. She said, “It’s more important to do God’s work in God’s way.”
When the exiled Jews returned to Jerusalem, King Cyrus commissioned them to rebuild the temple. Solomon’s glorious edifice was in ruins. Would they be able to restore it to its former glory? Any form of help was welcome, right? Apparently not.
When their neighbors said, “Let us build with you, for we worship your God just as you do” (Ezra 4:2), Zerubbabel declined. He realized that the neighboring people’s “commitment” to God didn’t include a commitment to fully obey Him. They were advocating a “melting pot” religion that combined pagan and Jewish ideas and practices.
The fact that these neighbors didn’t have a sincere interest in helping the Jews became obvious very quickly (vv.4-5). They vehemently opposed the temple reconstruction for many years.
Bible scholar Walter Kaiser wrote: “Discouragement took its toll; and the whole project came to a complete stop for 16 long years. . . . So it would have remained had not God graciously sent the prophets Haggai and Zechariah” (4:24, 5:1).
Today, the school mentioned above might have to close down if it doesn’t acquire additional funding. I wonder how many good Christian ministries are in a similar plight. On a brochure of another charitable organization, I recently read: “Whether your donation is big or small, one thing is certain . . . to the desperate boy or girl . . . your gift means the world.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 2 Corinthians 9:9-13 to see the good things that can happen when believers give generously to help one another.
How has God blessed you financially? In what ways could you bless others with what He’s given you?
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more