Timeless GrooveWhat lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?
Top Christian Music Videos
Thanks, But No Thanks
Let us build with you, for we worship your God just as you do (v.2).
A Christian school for autistic children received a donation from a corporation. After making sure that there were no strings attached, the school accepted the money. Later, the corporation requested to have representation on the school’s board of directors. The head of the school returned the money. She refused to mix school governance with secular values. She said, “It’s more important to do God’s work in God’s way.”
When the exiled Jews returned to Jerusalem, King Cyrus commissioned them to rebuild the temple. Solomon’s glorious edifice was in ruins. Would they be able to restore it to its former glory? Any form of help was welcome, right? Apparently not.
When their neighbors said, “Let us build with you, for we worship your God just as you do” (Ezra 4:2), Zerubbabel declined. He realized that the neighboring people’s “commitment” to God didn’t include a commitment to fully obey Him. They were advocating a “melting pot” religion that combined pagan and Jewish ideas and practices.
The fact that these neighbors didn’t have a sincere interest in helping the Jews became obvious very quickly (vv.4-5). They vehemently opposed the temple reconstruction for many years.
Bible scholar Walter Kaiser wrote: “Discouragement took its toll; and the whole project came to a complete stop for 16 long years. . . . So it would have remained had not God graciously sent the prophets Haggai and Zechariah” (4:24, 5:1).
Today, the school mentioned above might have to close down if it doesn’t acquire additional funding. I wonder how many good Christian ministries are in a similar plight. On a brochure of another charitable organization, I recently read: “Whether your donation is big or small, one thing is certain . . . to the desperate boy or girl . . . your gift means the world.”
—Poh Fang Chia
Read 2 Corinthians 9:9-13 to see the good things that can happen when believers give generously to help one another.
How has God blessed you financially? In what ways could you bless others with what He’s given you?
- Timeless Groove - What lesser gods are you being tempted to follow?...read more
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more