FearlessHow can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?
Top Christian Music Videos
Learn From History
1 Corinthians 10:1
These things happened as a warning to us, so that we would not crave
evil things as they did (v.6).
According to federal education officials, US students
are less proficient in their nation’s history than in
any other subject. The test revealed that most
fourth-graders were unable to say why well-known
president Abraham Lincoln was an important figure, and
few high school seniors were able to identify China as
the North Korean ally that fought US troops in the Korean
War. The failure of a people to know their history and to
learn from it can position them to repeat past mistakes.
That’s what Paul communicated to the Corinthians when
he encouraged them to learn from the example of ancient
Israel. Having been set free from the slavery of sin and
viewing themselves as privileged, the Corinthians assumed
God would not discipline them for consorting with idols.
To bring them back to reality, Paul cited the wilderness
generation of Israel. Though Israel experienced supernatural
deliverance, divine provisions, and the presence of God,
He severely disciplined them for violating their covenant
obligations—one of which was to serve Him exclusively
(Exodus 20:2). Like Israel, the Corinthians supposed
their spiritual standing before God—and corresponding
freedom—gave them license to participate in pagan feasts.
But they were wrong! Israel’s historic fall was a direct
warning to the Corinthians.
Like ancient Israel and the Corinthians, we’ve been
set free from the slavery of our past and have been
set on a journey toward the Promised Land. As we walk exclusively with our
heavenly Father, let’s be careful to learn from the examples of the past and be
responsible with our Christian freedom, refusing to crave the pleasures of our
old lives, worship things, be sexually immoral, grumble against the plan and
purpose of God, and speak rebelliously against His appointed leaders
(1 Corinthians 1:6).
What warning should you recall when you’re tempted to participate
in idolatry, sexual immorality, and grumbling against God? How have
you been set free?
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more