Mental illness, Medication, and the Heart of GodAugust 18, 2021 ● 27 min
Share this episode
In this episode, we will unpack:
1. What mental illness is (and how it is different than mental health).
2. What labels can be dangerous
3. Differentiating between symptoms and disorders
4. The challenges that come with specific diagnoses (including depression, psychosis, bipolar, anxiety disorders and suicidality)
5. Treatment options and the stigma around treatment
6. The heart of God toward those who are struggling with mental illness symptoms and disorders.
How do we know if someone is at risk or deeply struggling with suicidality?
Evidence of emotional distress (depression, anxiety, hopelessness, fear, anger, sudden mood shifts, isolation/withdrawal, recklessness, etc.)
Intrusive thoughts and/or statements of suicidal intention or ideation (“I don’t have a reason to live” or “I keep thinking people would be better off without me”)
Seeking access to means or having access to items such as firearms, pills, sharp objects.
Having a plan or contemplating a plan for attempting suicide.
If you are personally struggling, I want to be the one to tell you, I am in it with you. Please reach out to those in your circle and/or call the Suicide Prevention Hotline 1-800-273-TALK (8255) for support.
Resources & References:
My Mental Health: Do I Need Help? (via nimh.nih.gov) https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/my-mental-health-do-i-need-help
Website | Instagram | Facebook
To access more content and join my monthly email list for the latest episodes and info, visit my website at carleymarcouillier.com
Episode Image Credit: Getty/Ponomariova_Maria
A Prayer for Strength and Daily Guidance - Your Daily Prayer - July 7
The author of Hebrews reminds us not to seek comfort in the material things of this world.
The latest news and hot topics trending among Christian music, entertainment and faith life.