Manoomin Project: Faith in wild teens and wild rice - Today's Christian Videos
A northern Michigan pastor is teaming at-risk teenagers with American Indian guides to restores the state's once abundant wild rice crop.
Over 100 teens have planted more than one ton of wild rice seeds during the past four summers thanks to guides from several Native American communities and other volunteers including from Marquette County Juvenile Court.
The wild rice project was founded by the Cedar Tree Institute in Marquette, Michigan and the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community to help the teenagers learn respect for themselves, nature and American Indian heritage.
The teens have the opportunity to learn about faith, God and the Bible but religion is not forced upon the youths.
The teens are taught social issues like racism against Native American.
Normally held in September, the fourth planting was delayed until November 2007 due to lo water levels in Wisconsin where the seeds are purchased.
Manoomin Project volunteer media advisor Greg Peterson has the story.
News From Indian Country article:
NFIC story picked up by Pow Wows blog:
Turtle Talk Blog uses Indian Country Today story:
Indian Country Today article:
Links to media coverage of 2007 Manoomin Project wild rice planting on Dead River Nov. 3, 2007:
The Peoples Path - home page - link to Earth Times (about three quarters of the way down page on left side):
Urth TV Blog
Cedar Tree Institute
More videos from this user
Recommended for you
- 2009 Second Week of School & Photo Montage: Navajo Ev...yoopernewsman00:07:14979 views
- First Day of School 2009 Part #2: Navajo Evangelical Luth...yoopernewsman00:10:59992 views
- First Day of School 2009 Part #1: Navajo Evangelical Luth...yoopernewsman00:10:57954 views
- Update 2009: Navajo Evangelical Lutheran Mission in Rock ...yoopernewsman00:10:581,215 views
- Old sermons; modern mesage: Michigan Author Joy Ibsen exp...yoopernewsman00:10:271,430 views
- Michigan Author Joy Ibsen kicks off Midwest summer book t...yoopernewsman00:08:321,313 views
- Michigan Author Joy Ibsen reads part of her new book &quo...yoopernewsman00:11:001,295 views
- Celtic Christianity Today Homily "Repent or the Time...yoopernewsman00:10:261,286 views
- Celtic Christianity Today Homily "Repent or the Time...yoopernewsman00:08:101,269 views
- Celtic Christianity Today Homily "The Cost and Joy o...yoopernewsman00:10:591,350 views
- Celtic Christianity Today Homily "The Goodness of Cr...yoopernewsman00:13:141,506 views
- Celtic Christianity Today Homily "Why Now? Why Here?...yoopernewsman00:06:371,477 views
- Earth Day 2009 Blessing of the Trees: Northern Michigan b...yoopernewsman00:04:201,503 views
- WBUP/WBKP TV-10: Northern Michigan EarthKeepers to plant ...yoopernewsman00:01:271,781 views
- WKQS Radio: Interfaith EarthKeepers interviewed about pla...yoopernewsman00:06:071,709 views
- Fair Trade 3: Lutheran students visit Nicaragua coffee fa...yoopernewsman00:10:592,152 views
- Fair Trade 2: Lutheran students visit Nicaragua coffee fa...yoopernewsman00:10:591,954 views
- Fair Trade 1: Lutheran students visit Nicaragua coffee fa...yoopernewsman00:10:582,083 views
- Faith-based Zaagkii Wings and Seeds Project protects poll...yoopernewsman00:11:002,914 views
- Northern Michigan pastor's nonprofit benefit concert insp...yoopernewsman00:10:062,982 views