MALTA: Zejtun-St Gregory Church & the secret passage - Ministry Videos
The name of the St. Gregory Church relates to the statue of Pope Saint Gregory the Great that is situated in the middle of the church's square. The statue faces the Cathedral of Mdina, the old medieval capital in the centre of the island.
The church was used as part of the defences of the Hospitaller Knights of St John against the Turks.
In 1969, a secret passage was discovered in the church walls. Intended perhaps as a safe place for villagers when Å»ejtun was under attack by the enemy. These passages revealed the skeletal remains of some 80 people.
As from the 16th.Century a votive procession used to depart from all the parishes of Malta early in the day on foot and ended at this very church later in the morning. The procession still takes place nowadays albeit on a smaller scale, on the first Wednesday after Easter.
Photos by Choy Hong (Jasmine) Grech unless otherwise noted.
Video by Alfred & Jasmine Grech, Mosta, Malta
More videos from this user
Recommended for you
- MALTA: Zejtun-Feast of St Catherine V.M.jasalf595900:07:311,113 views
- FASCINATING MALTA: A tour around Malta and Gozojasalf595900:06:30936 views
- MALTA: Mgarr, Prehistoric Temples, Gnejna, Ghajn Tuffieha...jasalf595900:06:481,738 views
- MALTA: Rabat, the Catacombs, Museum, Roman Villa, etc.jasalf595900:06:241,291 views
- MALTA: Cats found in Malta and Gozojasalf595900:04:49869 views
- MALTA: Qormi - Feast of St Georgejasalf595900:05:181,628 views
- MALTA: Tarxien Prehistoric Temples - Older than the Pyra...jasalf595900:05:061,631 views
- MALTA: Chinese Serenity Garden, Santa Lucijajasalf595900:04:531,974 views
- MALTA: Ghal Lapsi, Megalithic Temples, Blue Grotto, etcjasalf595900:05:441,501 views
- MALTA: Popeye Village, Mellieha, Red Tower, Selmun, etcjasalf595900:05:111,794 views
- MALTA: Kuncizzjoni, Bahrija, Mtahleb, Fomm ir-Rihjasalf595900:04:331,947 views
- MALTA: Sunset skiesjasalf595900:03:331,376 views
- MALTA: Girgenti - Prehistoric Cart Ruts & Cavesjasalf595900:03:341,526 views
- MALTA: Chadwick Lakes in winterjasalf595900:03:361,407 views
- MALTA: Mgarr - An Mgarr Eveningjasalf595900:05:401,539 views
- MALTA: Gzira, Ta' Xbiex, Msida & Pieta'jasalf595900:05:101,403 views
- MALTA: GOZO-Victoriajasalf595900:05:531,496 views
- MALTA: GOZO-Dwejra, Mgarr ix-Xini, Hondoq ir-Rummien, etcjasalf595900:04:581,456 views
- MALTA: Gozo - Xlendi, Lunzjata, Nadur et aljasalf595900:04:431,536 views
- MALTA: Mosta - Feast of the Assumptionjasalf595900:03:531,012 views