The Greatest Man Who Ever Lived (Matthew 11:9-11) - Today's Christian Videos
But why did you go out? To see a prophet? Yes, I say to you, and one who is more than a prophet. This is the one about whom it is written, 'Behold, I send My messenger before Your face, who will prepare Your way before You.' Truly, I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. (Matthew 11:9-11)
A mark of John's greatness was his privileged calling. Until Christ's own ministry began, no human being had been called to a task as high and sacred as that of John the Baptist. In many ways his privilege overshadowed that of Mary, who gave Jesus birth. John was chosen to announce and prepare the way for the Messiah, the Son of God, the King of kings.
Jesus now asked the crowd a third question: But why did you go out? To see a prophet? The answer to that question is clearly yes. As already mentioned, John the Baptist had developed a large and dedicated following in addition to his disciples, and most of the people did indeed consider him to be a prophet (Matt. 14:5; 21:26).
The prophetic office began with Moses and extended until the Babylonian captivity, after which for 400 years Israel had no prophet until John the Baptist. He was the valedictorian of the prophets, the most dynamic, articulate, confrontational, and powerful spokesman God had ever called. As the last prophet, he would not only announce that the Messiah was coming but that He had arrived.
In true greatness, the right person is always matched to the right position...
More videos from this user
Recommended for you
- Dealing with Personal Offenses (Philippians 4:2-3) John M...gracetoyou00:01:59484 views
- Is Salvation Easy? (Matthew 7:13-14) John MacArthurgracetoyou00:01:59541 views
- The Murder of God’s Son: A Prophetic Parable, Part 2 (Luk...gracetoyou00:28:26460 views
- The Murder of God's Son: A Prophetic Parable, Part 1B (Lu...gracetoyou00:28:30297 views
- The Essentials of Discipleship (1 Corinthians 4:1-21) - J...gracetoyou00:54:54505 views
- A Model for Giving Thanks (1 Chronicles 16:8-36) - John M...gracetoyou00:29:46346 views
- A Life Without Loose Endsgracetoyou00:28:30309 views
- Gifts Fit for a Baby (Matthew 2:9-12)gracetoyou00:01:59257 views
- Why the Little Town of Bethlehem? (Matthew 2:1-12)gracetoyou00:01:59342 views
- An Unsavory Lineage (Matthew 1:3-6)gracetoyou00:01:59365 views
- Fruitless Branches (John 15:2, 6)gracetoyou00:01:57620 views
- Always Ready (1 Peter 3)gracetoyou00:01:59715 views
- Paul’s Doubts about the Galatians (Galatians 4)gracetoyou00:01:59301 views
- Work Out Your Salvation (Philippians 2:12)gracetoyou00:01:59358 views
- Jesus, the Firstborn (Colossians 1:15)gracetoyou00:01:59261 views
- Suffer or Compromise? The Great Collisiongracetoyou00:04:30317 views
- It's God's Will That You Suffer for Righteousness' Sakegracetoyou00:03:57372 views
- Submissiongracetoyou00:02:33421 views
- Christ Died for God, #1 (Romans 3:25-31)gracetoyou00:28:29381 views
- Handed Over to Satan? (1 Corinthians 5)gracetoyou00:01:59406 views