Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
I was just 16 when I visited Rome. I toured the ancient catacombs as well as St. Peter’s Basilica. They’re both marvels of human creativity, evoking wonder with their enduring tribute to the way humans can chisel stone and dig into the earth and craft beauty from raw elements. In both the cavernous tunnels and the vast domed cathedral, I experienced deep reverence. I can only imagine what the artisans of these sacred spaces must have felt as they concluded their labor.
In Genesis 1 we see God acting as the first Artist- Architect, stringing lights across the sky, crafting beautiful meadows and deep oceans, forming creatures to roam the plains, and sculpting humankind from the earth’s clay. After each creation, God stepped back from His artistry and declared, “This is good.”
After making light, God said, “Good” (v.4); after forming land and water, God said, “Good” (v.10); after creating plants and trees, God said, “Good” (v.12); after crafting the moon and sun, God said, “Good” (vv.17-18); after making creatures for the sea and air, God said, “Good” (v.21); after forming wild animals large and small, God said, “Good” (v.25).
After completing His wondrous project, God sat back, took in the entire sight, sighed contentedly, and thought, This is very good! (v.31).
It’s important to remember that the word translated “good” means, in our vernacular, beautiful. God was not merely declaring creation something appropriately completed, but something aesthetically delightful. God, the Artist, took pleasure in His creation.
He still does. God takes pleasure in all His works—including you (Ephesians 2:10). —Winn Collier
God saw that the light was good (v.4).
Read Genesis 2:18-20 After the litany of “this is good” in Genesis 1, the declaration of something being “not good” is striking. What did God do about it?
What do you think God sees in you that He names very good? How does it change your posture to know He sees you as beautiful?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more