Testing for TruthIs the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?
Top Music Videos
I was just 16 when I visited Rome. I toured the ancient catacombs as well as St. Peter’s Basilica. They’re both marvels of human creativity, evoking wonder with their enduring tribute to the way humans can chisel stone and dig into the earth and craft beauty from raw elements. In both the cavernous tunnels and the vast domed cathedral, I experienced deep reverence. I can only imagine what the artisans of these sacred spaces must have felt as they concluded their labor.
In Genesis 1 we see God acting as the first Artist- Architect, stringing lights across the sky, crafting beautiful meadows and deep oceans, forming creatures to roam the plains, and sculpting humankind from the earth’s clay. After each creation, God stepped back from His artistry and declared, “This is good.”
After making light, God said, “Good” (v.4); after forming land and water, God said, “Good” (v.10); after creating plants and trees, God said, “Good” (v.12); after crafting the moon and sun, God said, “Good” (vv.17-18); after making creatures for the sea and air, God said, “Good” (v.21); after forming wild animals large and small, God said, “Good” (v.25).
After completing His wondrous project, God sat back, took in the entire sight, sighed contentedly, and thought, This is very good! (v.31).
It’s important to remember that the word translated “good” means, in our vernacular, beautiful. God was not merely declaring creation something appropriately completed, but something aesthetically delightful. God, the Artist, took pleasure in His creation.
He still does. God takes pleasure in all His works—including you (Ephesians 2:10). —Winn Collier
God saw that the light was good (v.4).
Read Genesis 2:18-20 After the litany of “this is good” in Genesis 1, the declaration of something being “not good” is striking. What did God do about it?
What do you think God sees in you that He names very good? How does it change your posture to know He sees you as beautiful?
- Testing for Truth - Is the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?...read more
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more