Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
I was just 16 when I visited Rome. I toured the ancient catacombs as well as St. Peter’s Basilica. They’re both marvels of human creativity, evoking wonder with their enduring tribute to the way humans can chisel stone and dig into the earth and craft beauty from raw elements. In both the cavernous tunnels and the vast domed cathedral, I experienced deep reverence. I can only imagine what the artisans of these sacred spaces must have felt as they concluded their labor.
In Genesis 1 we see God acting as the first Artist- Architect, stringing lights across the sky, crafting beautiful meadows and deep oceans, forming creatures to roam the plains, and sculpting humankind from the earth’s clay. After each creation, God stepped back from His artistry and declared, “This is good.”
After making light, God said, “Good” (v.4); after forming land and water, God said, “Good” (v.10); after creating plants and trees, God said, “Good” (v.12); after crafting the moon and sun, God said, “Good” (vv.17-18); after making creatures for the sea and air, God said, “Good” (v.21); after forming wild animals large and small, God said, “Good” (v.25).
After completing His wondrous project, God sat back, took in the entire sight, sighed contentedly, and thought, This is very good! (v.31).
It’s important to remember that the word translated “good” means, in our vernacular, beautiful. God was not merely declaring creation something appropriately completed, but something aesthetically delightful. God, the Artist, took pleasure in His creation.
He still does. God takes pleasure in all His works—including you (Ephesians 2:10). —Winn Collier
God saw that the light was good (v.4).
Read Genesis 2:18-20 After the litany of “this is good” in Genesis 1, the declaration of something being “not good” is striking. What did God do about it?
What do you think God sees in you that He names very good? How does it change your posture to know He sees you as beautiful?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more