Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
I was just 16 when I visited Rome. I toured the ancient catacombs as well as St. Peter’s Basilica. They’re both marvels of human creativity, evoking wonder with their enduring tribute to the way humans can chisel stone and dig into the earth and craft beauty from raw elements. In both the cavernous tunnels and the vast domed cathedral, I experienced deep reverence. I can only imagine what the artisans of these sacred spaces must have felt as they concluded their labor.
In Genesis 1 we see God acting as the first Artist- Architect, stringing lights across the sky, crafting beautiful meadows and deep oceans, forming creatures to roam the plains, and sculpting humankind from the earth’s clay. After each creation, God stepped back from His artistry and declared, “This is good.”
After making light, God said, “Good” (v.4); after forming land and water, God said, “Good” (v.10); after creating plants and trees, God said, “Good” (v.12); after crafting the moon and sun, God said, “Good” (vv.17-18); after making creatures for the sea and air, God said, “Good” (v.21); after forming wild animals large and small, God said, “Good” (v.25).
After completing His wondrous project, God sat back, took in the entire sight, sighed contentedly, and thought, This is very good! (v.31).
It’s important to remember that the word translated “good” means, in our vernacular, beautiful. God was not merely declaring creation something appropriately completed, but something aesthetically delightful. God, the Artist, took pleasure in His creation.
He still does. God takes pleasure in all His works—including you (Ephesians 2:10). —Winn Collier
God saw that the light was good (v.4).
Read Genesis 2:18-20 After the litany of “this is good” in Genesis 1, the declaration of something being “not good” is striking. What did God do about it?
What do you think God sees in you that He names very good? How does it change your posture to know He sees you as beautiful?
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more