What Sets Us FreeDo you ever try to earn points with God?
Top Music Videos
Thursday September 19
wise in God’s eyes
Who’s the brightest person in the world—the one with the highest IQ? Some would name Abdesselam Jelloul, who has an IQ of 198. Others say it’s Marilyn vos Savant with her IQ of 228. The Guinness Book of World Records lists physicist and engineer Kim Ung-Yong as having the highest confirmed IQ in the world (210). Interestingly, Albert Einstein had an IQ of “only” 160, while the average IQ for human beings is 90-109.
It’s important to note that a person with a high IQ won’t necessarily be a wise person. All people can act foolishly. So who is a wise person? James says a wise person is one who “[understands] God’s ways” and who shows it “by living an honorable life, doing good works” in an attitude of humility (James 3:13). A wise person isn’t motivated or controlled by jealousy and self-centeredness (v.14).
How do wise people live? They’re “first of all pure,” being people of integrity and honesty. They’re “peace loving,” maintaining harmonious relationships with others, “gentle at all times,” mindful of others’ feelings, and “willing to yield to others” because they’re open to reason. “Full of mercy,” kind, and compassionate, they willingly help those in need. They show “no favoritism” and are “always sincere” (v.17).
Wise people aren’t measured by how much they know but by how well they live. It’s not about their intelligence. It’s about their character. It’s not what’s in their head, but in their heart.
To be wise, you don’t need a high IQ. You simply need to know God and “understand [His] ways” (v.13). Solomon, the wisest man on earth, said, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding” (Proverbs 9:10 NIV). —K.T. Sim
If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom (v.13).
How can you grow in God’s wisdom? How can intelligence sometimes become a god that makes us wise in our own eyes?
- What Sets Us Free - Do you ever try to earn points with God?...read more
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more