Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
Thursday September 19
wise in God’s eyes
Who’s the brightest person in the world—the one with the highest IQ? Some would name Abdesselam Jelloul, who has an IQ of 198. Others say it’s Marilyn vos Savant with her IQ of 228. The Guinness Book of World Records lists physicist and engineer Kim Ung-Yong as having the highest confirmed IQ in the world (210). Interestingly, Albert Einstein had an IQ of “only” 160, while the average IQ for human beings is 90-109.
It’s important to note that a person with a high IQ won’t necessarily be a wise person. All people can act foolishly. So who is a wise person? James says a wise person is one who “[understands] God’s ways” and who shows it “by living an honorable life, doing good works” in an attitude of humility (James 3:13). A wise person isn’t motivated or controlled by jealousy and self-centeredness (v.14).
How do wise people live? They’re “first of all pure,” being people of integrity and honesty. They’re “peace loving,” maintaining harmonious relationships with others, “gentle at all times,” mindful of others’ feelings, and “willing to yield to others” because they’re open to reason. “Full of mercy,” kind, and compassionate, they willingly help those in need. They show “no favoritism” and are “always sincere” (v.17).
Wise people aren’t measured by how much they know but by how well they live. It’s not about their intelligence. It’s about their character. It’s not what’s in their head, but in their heart.
To be wise, you don’t need a high IQ. You simply need to know God and “understand [His] ways” (v.13). Solomon, the wisest man on earth, said, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding” (Proverbs 9:10 NIV). —K.T. Sim
If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom (v.13).
How can you grow in God’s wisdom? How can intelligence sometimes become a god that makes us wise in our own eyes?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more