Encouragement ExchangeHow could you give encouragement to someone today?
Top Music Videos
Thursday September 19
wise in God’s eyes
Who’s the brightest person in the world—the one with the highest IQ? Some would name Abdesselam Jelloul, who has an IQ of 198. Others say it’s Marilyn vos Savant with her IQ of 228. The Guinness Book of World Records lists physicist and engineer Kim Ung-Yong as having the highest confirmed IQ in the world (210). Interestingly, Albert Einstein had an IQ of “only” 160, while the average IQ for human beings is 90-109.
It’s important to note that a person with a high IQ won’t necessarily be a wise person. All people can act foolishly. So who is a wise person? James says a wise person is one who “[understands] God’s ways” and who shows it “by living an honorable life, doing good works” in an attitude of humility (James 3:13). A wise person isn’t motivated or controlled by jealousy and self-centeredness (v.14).
How do wise people live? They’re “first of all pure,” being people of integrity and honesty. They’re “peace loving,” maintaining harmonious relationships with others, “gentle at all times,” mindful of others’ feelings, and “willing to yield to others” because they’re open to reason. “Full of mercy,” kind, and compassionate, they willingly help those in need. They show “no favoritism” and are “always sincere” (v.17).
Wise people aren’t measured by how much they know but by how well they live. It’s not about their intelligence. It’s about their character. It’s not what’s in their head, but in their heart.
To be wise, you don’t need a high IQ. You simply need to know God and “understand [His] ways” (v.13). Solomon, the wisest man on earth, said, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding” (Proverbs 9:10 NIV). —K.T. Sim
If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom (v.13).
How can you grow in God’s wisdom? How can intelligence sometimes become a god that makes us wise in our own eyes?
- Encouragement Exchange - How could you give encouragement to someone today?...read more
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more