Based on a True StoryWhat restoration has God brought to your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Thursday September 19
wise in God’s eyes
Who’s the brightest person in the world—the one with the highest IQ? Some would name Abdesselam Jelloul, who has an IQ of 198. Others say it’s Marilyn vos Savant with her IQ of 228. The Guinness Book of World Records lists physicist and engineer Kim Ung-Yong as having the highest confirmed IQ in the world (210). Interestingly, Albert Einstein had an IQ of “only” 160, while the average IQ for human beings is 90-109.
It’s important to note that a person with a high IQ won’t necessarily be a wise person. All people can act foolishly. So who is a wise person? James says a wise person is one who “[understands] God’s ways” and who shows it “by living an honorable life, doing good works” in an attitude of humility (James 3:13). A wise person isn’t motivated or controlled by jealousy and self-centeredness (v.14).
How do wise people live? They’re “first of all pure,” being people of integrity and honesty. They’re “peace loving,” maintaining harmonious relationships with others, “gentle at all times,” mindful of others’ feelings, and “willing to yield to others” because they’re open to reason. “Full of mercy,” kind, and compassionate, they willingly help those in need. They show “no favoritism” and are “always sincere” (v.17).
Wise people aren’t measured by how much they know but by how well they live. It’s not about their intelligence. It’s about their character. It’s not what’s in their head, but in their heart.
To be wise, you don’t need a high IQ. You simply need to know God and “understand [His] ways” (v.13). Solomon, the wisest man on earth, said, “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding” (Proverbs 9:10 NIV). —K.T. Sim
If you are wise and understand God’s ways, prove it by living an honorable life, doing good works with the humility that comes from wisdom (v.13).
How can you grow in God’s wisdom? How can intelligence sometimes become a god that makes us wise in our own eyes?
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more