Hidden SinsHow have you been trying to deal with your sin?
Top Music Videos
FRIDAY, DECEMBER 30
Passion for God’s house will consume me (v.17).
House of Herod,” reads the heading to a chart in my study Bible. The graphic shows a family tree beginning with Herod “the Great.” He’s known—among other things—for killing the baby boys of Bethlehem. Herod fathered Herod Antipas, who married his brother’s ex-wife and executed John the Baptist. There’s Salome, the granddaughter whose dance “won” that execution. Don’t forget Herod Agrippa I, the grandson who murdered James the brother of John (see Acts 12:1–2).
Herod the Great did commission a magnificent temple for the people. However, first-century historian Josephus said he did this to make a name for himself.
Against Herod’s misguided quest for immortality stands the immortal One who had much to do with the temple— Jesus. Early in His ministry, Jesus threw a bunch of merchants out of the temple, saying, “Stop turning my Father’s house into a marketplace!” (John 2:16). This infuriated the Jewish leaders. “If God gave you authority to do this, show us a miraculous sign to prove it,” they demanded (v.18). Jesus’ response was fraught with significance: “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up” (v.19).
“It has taken forty-six years to build this Temple, and you can rebuild it in three days?” asked the leaders (v.20). They never forgot His claim and later threw it in His face as part of their plot to crucify Him (Matthew 26:61). Soldiers nailed Him to a cross, but three days later Jesus rose again.
Herod’s temple was dismantled brick by brick in AD 70, and Herod’s name lives only in infamy. In contrast, we come to our heavenly Father in the name of Jesus, whose passion for His Father’s house lives on. He’s the cornerstone of an everlasting building made up of all who believe in Him (1 Peter 2:4-7). —Tim Gustafson
What motivates you in your work today? Your own fame? Or God’s greater glory? What does it mean for you to be part of God’s eternal “building”?
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more