Subscribe to God’s HelpWhat temptations are you battling?
Top Music Videos
Sunday May 11
what a name!
Hi, please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Chia Poh Fang. This is my dialect name, and I’m a Hakka. So, in Chinese, my name reads Xie Bao Fang. “Xie” is my family name and it connotes gratitude. “Bao” means protection. And “Fang” means fragrance. So my name means “thank you for protecting the fragrance.”
Names are interesting, aren’t they? In fact, some people claim that a child’s name can tell us something about his parents—their race, social standing, and even their politics.
Abimelech means “my father is king.” What does that tell you about Abimelech’s dad? No prize for guessing it right. Abimelech’s father, Gideon, had an ego issue. When the Israelites asked Gideon to rule over them, he refused—but then he proceeded to live like a king (Judges 8:22-30). Gideon’s son would not be as kind and gentle a ruler as his father. He connived to rule over his people, and, murdered 70 of his half-brothers to make sure it happened (9:1-5).
Many explanations could be given for Abimelech’s lust for power. Upbringing would be one of them. In fact, many of us imitate what was modeled and taught to us by our parents.
But while family backgrounds may shape our personalities and create complexes, we don’t have to remain that way. For “anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” (2 Corinthians 5:17).
The life-giving Spirit now lives in us, providing new perspectives and the ability to live out new behaviors. As believers in Jesus, we now have new family traits to follow and portray. Have you received Him as your Savior and Lord? If so, you belong to Him and 2 Corinthians 5:17 is a reality for you! —Poh Fang Chia
Anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! (2 Corinthians 5:17).
Read Proverbs 22:1 and consider what it takes to have a good name.
Can you identify how your upbringing has shaped some of your current behaviors and attitudes? What Christlike character qualities do you need to “put on” and what sinful ways do you need to “put off”?
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more