Faithful and TrueWhat experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday May 11
what a name!
Hi, please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Chia Poh Fang. This is my dialect name, and I’m a Hakka. So, in Chinese, my name reads Xie Bao Fang. “Xie” is my family name and it connotes gratitude. “Bao” means protection. And “Fang” means fragrance. So my name means “thank you for protecting the fragrance.”
Names are interesting, aren’t they? In fact, some people claim that a child’s name can tell us something about his parents—their race, social standing, and even their politics.
Abimelech means “my father is king.” What does that tell you about Abimelech’s dad? No prize for guessing it right. Abimelech’s father, Gideon, had an ego issue. When the Israelites asked Gideon to rule over them, he refused—but then he proceeded to live like a king (Judges 8:22-30). Gideon’s son would not be as kind and gentle a ruler as his father. He connived to rule over his people, and, murdered 70 of his half-brothers to make sure it happened (9:1-5).
Many explanations could be given for Abimelech’s lust for power. Upbringing would be one of them. In fact, many of us imitate what was modeled and taught to us by our parents.
But while family backgrounds may shape our personalities and create complexes, we don’t have to remain that way. For “anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” (2 Corinthians 5:17).
The life-giving Spirit now lives in us, providing new perspectives and the ability to live out new behaviors. As believers in Jesus, we now have new family traits to follow and portray. Have you received Him as your Savior and Lord? If so, you belong to Him and 2 Corinthians 5:17 is a reality for you! —Poh Fang Chia
Anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! (2 Corinthians 5:17).
Read Proverbs 22:1 and consider what it takes to have a good name.
Can you identify how your upbringing has shaped some of your current behaviors and attitudes? What Christlike character qualities do you need to “put on” and what sinful ways do you need to “put off”?
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more