Powerful PatienceHow can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?
Top Music Videos
Sunday May 11
what a name!
Hi, please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Chia Poh Fang. This is my dialect name, and I’m a Hakka. So, in Chinese, my name reads Xie Bao Fang. “Xie” is my family name and it connotes gratitude. “Bao” means protection. And “Fang” means fragrance. So my name means “thank you for protecting the fragrance.”
Names are interesting, aren’t they? In fact, some people claim that a child’s name can tell us something about his parents—their race, social standing, and even their politics.
Abimelech means “my father is king.” What does that tell you about Abimelech’s dad? No prize for guessing it right. Abimelech’s father, Gideon, had an ego issue. When the Israelites asked Gideon to rule over them, he refused—but then he proceeded to live like a king (Judges 8:22-30). Gideon’s son would not be as kind and gentle a ruler as his father. He connived to rule over his people, and, murdered 70 of his half-brothers to make sure it happened (9:1-5).
Many explanations could be given for Abimelech’s lust for power. Upbringing would be one of them. In fact, many of us imitate what was modeled and taught to us by our parents.
But while family backgrounds may shape our personalities and create complexes, we don’t have to remain that way. For “anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun!” (2 Corinthians 5:17).
The life-giving Spirit now lives in us, providing new perspectives and the ability to live out new behaviors. As believers in Jesus, we now have new family traits to follow and portray. Have you received Him as your Savior and Lord? If so, you belong to Him and 2 Corinthians 5:17 is a reality for you! —Poh Fang Chia
Anyone who belongs to Christ has become a new person. The old life is gone; a new life has begun! (2 Corinthians 5:17).
Read Proverbs 22:1 and consider what it takes to have a good name.
Can you identify how your upbringing has shaped some of your current behaviors and attitudes? What Christlike character qualities do you need to “put on” and what sinful ways do you need to “put off”?
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more
- Broken Down & Built Up - What might God be accomplishing in your life through a recent difficult experience?...read more