Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
Friday November 1
was it worth it?
In the movie Field of Dreams, miraculous things start to happen after Ray Kinsella builds a baseball field in the middle of his Iowa cornfield. One by one, major league baseball players from years past begin miraculously emerging from the surrounding cornstalks and begin to “play ball.”
Ray, who risked everything to build the field, eventually wondered if it was worth it. Frustrated, he finally told one of the players, “I did it all. I listened to the voices. I did what they told me, and not once did I ask, ‘What’s in it for me?’ ” The player asked, “What are you saying, Ray?” Kinsella replied, “I’m saying, what’s in it for me?”
In Psalm 73, Asaph asked a similar question. For years, Asaph had faithfully served as King David’s music director (1 Chronicles 16:4-7). He helped put music to the words of David’s psalms and even authored several psalms of his own. He was alive when God promised David that the Messiah would come through David’s family and reign forever. He likely witnessed David’s death, the rise of Solomon, and the building of the temple. As best as we can tell, he thought he was about to witness the golden era God had promised for Israel. But Solomon turned away from God. As a result, God split Israel into two kingdoms, and it was “all downhill from there.”
As with all of us, life didn’t turn out exactly as Asaph expected. He wondered if he had served all those years for nothing (Psalm 73:13). But when He entered God’s sanctuary, he realized that he possessed the greatest treasure of all—the very presence of God (vv.17-26).
Our greatest doubts can be resolved only as we draw near to God. —Jeff Olson
Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason? (v.13).
Read 2 Timothy 4:7-8 to see what Paul says about how he had lived for Jesus and why it was worth it.
What can we gain from serving and sacrificing for Jesus? How was God’s supreme sacrifice worth it from His perspective?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more