Genuine LoveHow have you experienced the reality of God’s love?
Top Music Videos
Friday November 1
was it worth it?
In the movie Field of Dreams, miraculous things start to happen after Ray Kinsella builds a baseball field in the middle of his Iowa cornfield. One by one, major league baseball players from years past begin miraculously emerging from the surrounding cornstalks and begin to “play ball.”
Ray, who risked everything to build the field, eventually wondered if it was worth it. Frustrated, he finally told one of the players, “I did it all. I listened to the voices. I did what they told me, and not once did I ask, ‘What’s in it for me?’ ” The player asked, “What are you saying, Ray?” Kinsella replied, “I’m saying, what’s in it for me?”
In Psalm 73, Asaph asked a similar question. For years, Asaph had faithfully served as King David’s music director (1 Chronicles 16:4-7). He helped put music to the words of David’s psalms and even authored several psalms of his own. He was alive when God promised David that the Messiah would come through David’s family and reign forever. He likely witnessed David’s death, the rise of Solomon, and the building of the temple. As best as we can tell, he thought he was about to witness the golden era God had promised for Israel. But Solomon turned away from God. As a result, God split Israel into two kingdoms, and it was “all downhill from there.”
As with all of us, life didn’t turn out exactly as Asaph expected. He wondered if he had served all those years for nothing (Psalm 73:13). But when He entered God’s sanctuary, he realized that he possessed the greatest treasure of all—the very presence of God (vv.17-26).
Our greatest doubts can be resolved only as we draw near to God. —Jeff Olson
Did I keep my heart pure for nothing? Did I keep myself innocent for no reason? (v.13).
Read 2 Timothy 4:7-8 to see what Paul says about how he had lived for Jesus and why it was worth it.
What can we gain from serving and sacrificing for Jesus? How was God’s supreme sacrifice worth it from His perspective?
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more
- Hope Awakening - Do you tend to see the glass as half empty or half full?...read more
- Life and Loss - Where are you going with your pain?...read more