Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
Friday November 15
using the keys
Based on the bulky size of the key ring that holds my car and house keys, losing it shouldn’t be an issue. But it seems that I’m always searching for my keys, and they’re hardest to find when I need them most. One time I lost a set of keys after wrapping up gift baskets we had made for a youth fundraiser. I imagined someone opening her gift, only to wonder how to claim the house and car that came with her basket!
In John 14:12, Jesus tells us, “Anyone who believes in Me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.” This teaching has been a difficult one for me to wrap my mind around—especially reading about the incredible miracles Jesus performed. I’ve come to realize, however, the difference between knowing I’m a citizen of His kingdom and actually living as one.
Intellectually, we digest the truths of Scripture and seek to put them into practice. Yet one of the key elements of Jesus’ ministry was His authority—not in the sense of telling people what to do, but in His understanding of who He was and is. Extending far beyond information, His identity—and thus His authority—comes from heaven, not earth (Revelation 1:13-18). So should ours.
His life for ours, the cross was an identity exchange. But Jesus didn’t need to go to the cross to reclaim power He had somehow lost. After all, He had already demanded that the grave relinquish the dead, that bodies be healed, hearts be restored, and demons flee.
I am the living one. I died, but look—I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and the grave (v.18).
Read Acts 4:1-20 and consider what it means to have a clear understanding of your authority in Jesus.
What does it mean for you to have an identity based on heaven’s view rather than earth’s? What are some areas where you believe Jesus is calling you to walk in a greater sense of His authority?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more