Running the RaceHow deliberate are you in your spiritual training?
Top Christian Music Videos
Not all influence is the same. A piece of coal and a diamond vastly differ in their make-up and value, though both contain carbon. Coal’s stubborn, black residue marks anything it touches. A diamond, though stronger and more costly, doesn’t transfer its brilliance. Carry a bag of coal or a bag of diamonds, and the lesson is visible—only one influences by proximity.
Sin and holiness function in the same way. While compromise leaves its staining residue wherever it moves, holiness doesn’t impact through external touch. Instead, its impact is seen when we rightly understand God’s promises “while the seed is still in the barn” (Haggai 2:19), and we plant according to His purposes, not ours. Responding to people’s sin of apathy, Haggai drew a parallel between the state of the unfinished temple and the formative decisions we make in life. We can’t enter into apathy and remain unaffected. Its deathly influence will become visible in our attitudes and actions (vv.13-14).
On the contrary, simply going to church and associating with people who are strong in their faith won’t lead to a passionate faith of our own (v.12). That requires a reformation of the heart (Romans 2:28-29), one rooted first in our identity and then realized in our behavior (1 Peter 1:15-16).
God doesn’t rescind His promises, but He does delight when we actively live out our faith in Him. When we bind ourselves to Jesus with a love made visible in obedience, we will be affected by His presence. Hating the sin of apathy that would tarnish the offering of our lives, we know “the Lord of Heaven’s Armies is here among us” (Haggai 2:11). —Regina Franklin
Everything they do and everything they offer is defiled by their sin (v.14).
Read Joshua 24:14-31 and consider the characteristics that mark a covenant relationship with God.
Who or what is having the greatest influence on your life? How are your attitudes and decisions affecting those around you?
- Running the Race - How deliberate are you in your spiritual training?...read more
- Out of Love - How did God show love for us through His sacrifice?...read more
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more