The Gift of LoveHow should you respond to such a great love?
Top Christian Music Videos
Not all influence is the same. A piece of coal and a diamond vastly differ in their make-up and value, though both contain carbon. Coal’s stubborn, black residue marks anything it touches. A diamond, though stronger and more costly, doesn’t transfer its brilliance. Carry a bag of coal or a bag of diamonds, and the lesson is visible—only one influences by proximity.
Sin and holiness function in the same way. While compromise leaves its staining residue wherever it moves, holiness doesn’t impact through external touch. Instead, its impact is seen when we rightly understand God’s promises “while the seed is still in the barn” (Haggai 2:19), and we plant according to His purposes, not ours. Responding to people’s sin of apathy, Haggai drew a parallel between the state of the unfinished temple and the formative decisions we make in life. We can’t enter into apathy and remain unaffected. Its deathly influence will become visible in our attitudes and actions (vv.13-14).
On the contrary, simply going to church and associating with people who are strong in their faith won’t lead to a passionate faith of our own (v.12). That requires a reformation of the heart (Romans 2:28-29), one rooted first in our identity and then realized in our behavior (1 Peter 1:15-16).
God doesn’t rescind His promises, but He does delight when we actively live out our faith in Him. When we bind ourselves to Jesus with a love made visible in obedience, we will be affected by His presence. Hating the sin of apathy that would tarnish the offering of our lives, we know “the Lord of Heaven’s Armies is here among us” (Haggai 2:11). —Regina Franklin
Everything they do and everything they offer is defiled by their sin (v.14).
Read Joshua 24:14-31 and consider the characteristics that mark a covenant relationship with God.
Who or what is having the greatest influence on your life? How are your attitudes and decisions affecting those around you?
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more