Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tuesday September 10
trust & obedience
When I was in officer training school, I was taught that I could use artillery or air strikes to neutralize enemy forces before the actual engagement of a ground offensive. The objective was to damage the enemy’s fighting capabilities, create fear, and demoralize the enemy troops before ground combat began.
After 40 long years, the Israelites finally entered the Promised Land. But they didn’t need to call for artillery or air strikes. For when the Canaanites “heard how the Lord had dried up the Jordan River so the people of Israel could cross, they lost heart and were paralyzed with fear” (Joshua 5:1). This was an opportune time for “General Joshua” to launch an all-out offensive on Jericho.
But God commanded him to do something radical and totally irrational, humanly speaking. It was not only incredibly stupid as a military strategy but also extremely dangerous. God ordered Joshua to circumcise every male in the entire nation (v.2). Such a surgical procedure would cause a delay of 10 to 14 days as the soldiers recuperated. It incapacitated the entire Jewish army and endangered the whole nation—making it too weak to defend itself if an attack came from the Canaanites.
Yes, God’s command was perplexing. Surely His ways are not our ways. And that’s precisely the issue: What will you do when you find that God’s ways seem unreasonable and incomprehensible?
Joshua obeyed God’s command instead of giving in to his human reasoning. He chose to trust God even more. Oswald Chambers wrote, “Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.”
Joshua demonstrated his unwavering confidence in God by his obedience. Let’s do the same. —K.T. Sim
When all the...kings...heard how the Lord had dried up the Jordan River so the people of Israel could cross, they lost heart and were paralyzed with fear (v.1).
Read Joshua 6:1-5 and consider what you would do in this situation if you were Joshua.
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more