Kindness and HospitalityHow are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Tuesday September 10
trust & obedience
When I was in officer training school, I was taught that I could use artillery or air strikes to neutralize enemy forces before the actual engagement of a ground offensive. The objective was to damage the enemy’s fighting capabilities, create fear, and demoralize the enemy troops before ground combat began.
After 40 long years, the Israelites finally entered the Promised Land. But they didn’t need to call for artillery or air strikes. For when the Canaanites “heard how the Lord had dried up the Jordan River so the people of Israel could cross, they lost heart and were paralyzed with fear” (Joshua 5:1). This was an opportune time for “General Joshua” to launch an all-out offensive on Jericho.
But God commanded him to do something radical and totally irrational, humanly speaking. It was not only incredibly stupid as a military strategy but also extremely dangerous. God ordered Joshua to circumcise every male in the entire nation (v.2). Such a surgical procedure would cause a delay of 10 to 14 days as the soldiers recuperated. It incapacitated the entire Jewish army and endangered the whole nation—making it too weak to defend itself if an attack came from the Canaanites.
Yes, God’s command was perplexing. Surely His ways are not our ways. And that’s precisely the issue: What will you do when you find that God’s ways seem unreasonable and incomprehensible?
Joshua obeyed God’s command instead of giving in to his human reasoning. He chose to trust God even more. Oswald Chambers wrote, “Faith is deliberate confidence in the character of God whose ways you may not understand at the time.”
Joshua demonstrated his unwavering confidence in God by his obedience. Let’s do the same. —K.T. Sim
When all the...kings...heard how the Lord had dried up the Jordan River so the people of Israel could cross, they lost heart and were paralyzed with fear (v.1).
Read Joshua 6:1-5 and consider what you would do in this situation if you were Joshua.
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more