LaughterHow do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?
Top Music Videos
A 13-year-old girl stole her brother’s car and drove 800 miles to meet a 12-year-old boy she met online. With romance on her mind, she filched her mother’s bankcard, slipped out of her bedroom window, and left her home in Cypress, Texas. Police finally apprehended her about 50 miles away from Nashville, Tennessee, where the boy lived.
The girl was searching for love—something we’re all seeking. Jesus told his disciples about true love. During the Last Supper, He said to them: “If you really loved Me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father” (John 14:28). What a difficult thing for the disciples to digest. Their lives consisted of following Jesus both spiritually and physically. Yet Jesus informed them that love is selfless. It wants what is best for the other person, even when that means letting go.
Jesus also said that those who accepted and obeyed His commands were the ones who loved Him, and that He would love them and reveal Himself “to each of them” (v.21). His words show us that loving relationships are reciprocal—not one-sided. Both parties invest in each other.
Finally, Jesus proclaimed: “I will do what the Father requires of Me, so that the world will know I love the Father” (v.31). God required Jesus to take all our sin on Himself during His crucifixion (Isaiah 53:6). Jesus humbly submitted to the Father’s will. When we submit to each other, we model Christ’s humility; and where humility exists, love can grow.
Today, as you grow in love, “may you have the power to understand . . . how wide, how long, how high, and how deep [God’s] love is. May you experience the love of Christ” (Ephesians 3:18-19). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
John 14:15-31 If you really loved Me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father (v.28).
Why do we sometimes invest in relationships that do not reflect the true nature of biblical love? How might you share God’s love with someone this week?
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more
- Awe - Where and when do you find yourself most in awe of God?...read more
- Purpose - How does the apostle Paul’s life demonstrate God’s “purpose” to you?...read more