Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
A 13-year-old girl stole her brother’s car and drove 800 miles to meet a 12-year-old boy she met online. With romance on her mind, she filched her mother’s bankcard, slipped out of her bedroom window, and left her home in Cypress, Texas. Police finally apprehended her about 50 miles away from Nashville, Tennessee, where the boy lived.
The girl was searching for love—something we’re all seeking. Jesus told his disciples about true love. During the Last Supper, He said to them: “If you really loved Me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father” (John 14:28). What a difficult thing for the disciples to digest. Their lives consisted of following Jesus both spiritually and physically. Yet Jesus informed them that love is selfless. It wants what is best for the other person, even when that means letting go.
Jesus also said that those who accepted and obeyed His commands were the ones who loved Him, and that He would love them and reveal Himself “to each of them” (v.21). His words show us that loving relationships are reciprocal—not one-sided. Both parties invest in each other.
Finally, Jesus proclaimed: “I will do what the Father requires of Me, so that the world will know I love the Father” (v.31). God required Jesus to take all our sin on Himself during His crucifixion (Isaiah 53:6). Jesus humbly submitted to the Father’s will. When we submit to each other, we model Christ’s humility; and where humility exists, love can grow.
Today, as you grow in love, “may you have the power to understand . . . how wide, how long, how high, and how deep [God’s] love is. May you experience the love of Christ” (Ephesians 3:18-19). —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
John 14:15-31 If you really loved Me, you would be happy that I am going to the Father (v.28).
Why do we sometimes invest in relationships that do not reflect the true nature of biblical love? How might you share God’s love with someone this week?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more