The Gift of LoveHow should you respond to such a great love?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday September 9
I saw a group interacting with others outside my train station—sharing Scriptures with anyone who would listen. A group member approached and asked me to take a survey. One question referred to Revelation 22:17 She asked, “Who do you think is the ‘bride’?” I said, “The church.” She replied, “Read the text carefully. It’s God, the Mother.”
How should we respond in an age when false teaching is prevalent (there’s no teaching of God as mother in Scripture) and not all Bible teachers can be trusted? Jude gave us some timely advice.
First, we’re to remember the words of the apostles who wrote down much of the Word of God in the New Testament (Jude 1:17). They correctly predicted that false teaching would occur. So we shouldn’t be unduly discouraged or fearful when we see false teaching creep into the church. It’s a reality.
Second, we’re to grow in our understanding of God’s Word (v.20), for the Holy Scriptures are fully authoritative and totally sufficient. Someone said, “The safest Christian is the one who has a desire to grow in the truth of the Christian faith.”
Third, Jude exhorts us to live a life of dependence on God and to live in the sphere of God’s love for us—to dwell on it, to delight in it, to draw on it, and to be cheered on by it (vv.20-21). A person who is full of God’s love won’t be vulnerable to a false teacher’s sales pitch. We can respond to wrong teaching with grace and truth—reaching out with true compassion and godly wisdom (vv.22-23).
Last, but not least, we can rest in the power of God, who will keep us from falling away and to present us faultless (v.24). These truths can help us resist what is false! —Poh Fang Chia
You...must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit, and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will bring you eternal life (vv.20-21).
How can you strengthen your knowledge of God’s Word so you can recognize false teaching? What measurable goals should you set?
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more