Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday September 9
I saw a group interacting with others outside my train station—sharing Scriptures with anyone who would listen. A group member approached and asked me to take a survey. One question referred to Revelation 22:17 She asked, “Who do you think is the ‘bride’?” I said, “The church.” She replied, “Read the text carefully. It’s God, the Mother.”
How should we respond in an age when false teaching is prevalent (there’s no teaching of God as mother in Scripture) and not all Bible teachers can be trusted? Jude gave us some timely advice.
First, we’re to remember the words of the apostles who wrote down much of the Word of God in the New Testament (Jude 1:17). They correctly predicted that false teaching would occur. So we shouldn’t be unduly discouraged or fearful when we see false teaching creep into the church. It’s a reality.
Second, we’re to grow in our understanding of God’s Word (v.20), for the Holy Scriptures are fully authoritative and totally sufficient. Someone said, “The safest Christian is the one who has a desire to grow in the truth of the Christian faith.”
Third, Jude exhorts us to live a life of dependence on God and to live in the sphere of God’s love for us—to dwell on it, to delight in it, to draw on it, and to be cheered on by it (vv.20-21). A person who is full of God’s love won’t be vulnerable to a false teacher’s sales pitch. We can respond to wrong teaching with grace and truth—reaching out with true compassion and godly wisdom (vv.22-23).
Last, but not least, we can rest in the power of God, who will keep us from falling away and to present us faultless (v.24). These truths can help us resist what is false! —Poh Fang Chia
You...must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit, and await the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ, who will bring you eternal life (vv.20-21).
How can you strengthen your knowledge of God’s Word so you can recognize false teaching? What measurable goals should you set?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more