Why Pray?What do you need to ask God for today?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday September 30
the invention of lying
The Invention of Lying was a 2009 comedy set in an imagined world where mankind knows nothing about what it means to tell a lie. In the tale, an unsuccessful lecture-film writer, Mark Bellison, is the person who invents lying. He tells the first lie (about how much money he has in the bank) to a teller. Then he tells his frightened, dying mother the “ultimate” lie: “There is a heaven.” She dies happy, but the rest of the world is stunned by his lie. The movie ends with Mark happily married—with a son who has acquired his ability to lie.
The alternative world of Mark Bellison is a lie. Mark did not invent lying. He’s not the first person to do it. Jesus made it clear that lying is the devil’s invention. He’s the father of lies and “has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him” (John 8:44). Satan spun the first lies when he contradicted God (“You won’t die!”) and deceived Eve to believe that God was a liar (“Did God really say?”) (Genesis 3:1,4).
After that time, mankind became “children of...the devil” and chronic, persistent liars (John 8:44). Adam and Eve lied to God to evade responsibility (Genesis 3:11-13). Cain lied to God about his brother (4:9). Abraham told a half-truth about his relationship with Sarah—twice (12:13, 20:2 . Sarah lied to God (18:15). Isaac lied, denying that Rebecca was his wife (26:7). And we’re just halfway through Genesis! Lying was and is a part of human nature.
Heaven, however, is not a lie. It’s a place of eternal peace (John 14:1-4), while hell will provide unending torment (Revelation 20:10-15). All unrepentant sinners (liars included) will realize that “their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur” (Revelation 21:8). That’s definitely not a lie! (Numbers 23:19). —K.T. Sim
Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds (Colossians 3:9).
Jesus said that you’re either a child of God or a child of the devil (John 8:42-45). What should characterize your life if you’re a child of God?
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more
- What Is God? - Write down three things the Bible tells you about God....read more