Meaning MirageWhere do you typically find meaning in life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday September 30
the invention of lying
The Invention of Lying was a 2009 comedy set in an imagined world where mankind knows nothing about what it means to tell a lie. In the tale, an unsuccessful lecture-film writer, Mark Bellison, is the person who invents lying. He tells the first lie (about how much money he has in the bank) to a teller. Then he tells his frightened, dying mother the “ultimate” lie: “There is a heaven.” She dies happy, but the rest of the world is stunned by his lie. The movie ends with Mark happily married—with a son who has acquired his ability to lie.
The alternative world of Mark Bellison is a lie. Mark did not invent lying. He’s not the first person to do it. Jesus made it clear that lying is the devil’s invention. He’s the father of lies and “has always hated the truth, because there is no truth in him” (John 8:44). Satan spun the first lies when he contradicted God (“You won’t die!”) and deceived Eve to believe that God was a liar (“Did God really say?”) (Genesis 3:1,4).
After that time, mankind became “children of...the devil” and chronic, persistent liars (John 8:44). Adam and Eve lied to God to evade responsibility (Genesis 3:11-13). Cain lied to God about his brother (4:9). Abraham told a half-truth about his relationship with Sarah—twice (12:13, 20:2 . Sarah lied to God (18:15). Isaac lied, denying that Rebecca was his wife (26:7). And we’re just halfway through Genesis! Lying was and is a part of human nature.
Heaven, however, is not a lie. It’s a place of eternal peace (John 14:1-4), while hell will provide unending torment (Revelation 20:10-15). All unrepentant sinners (liars included) will realize that “their fate is in the fiery lake of burning sulfur” (Revelation 21:8). That’s definitely not a lie! (Numbers 23:19). —K.T. Sim
Don’t lie to each other, for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds (Colossians 3:9).
Jesus said that you’re either a child of God or a child of the devil (John 8:42-45). What should characterize your life if you’re a child of God?
- Meaning Mirage - Where do you typically find meaning in life?...read more
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more