Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday November 6
steps to nowhere
Serving with a group of students, I was picking up trash from the grounds of a home when I found a set of three sturdy brick steps. An ordinary set of stairs in every way, but they led nowhere. Climbing to the top simply led to the plank siding of the old, worn house.
So often we think of spiritual growth in terms of significant events or big transitions—whether in our lives or in our hearts. In doing so, we divorce ourselves from the real impact of everyday decisions. Small is significant, whether for good or evil. Solomon reminds us that the fruitfulness of our lives can be deeply affected by “little foxes” (Song of Solomon 2:15), and Jesus spoke of the immeasurable impact of mustard-seed moments in His kingdom (Luke 13:18-19).
Being strategic in our spiritual walk is all about seeking God and His will. It’s vital that we strive to remain obedient to Him and follow the lead of the Holy Spirit even in the “little” things. Working hard on whatever, making something happen, or passing time isn’t enough. We’re responsible for knowing and testing the worthiness of what we’re doing in life (1 Corinthians 3:12-14).
The temptation to squander—be it our money, our time, or our passion—is very real. We avoid building steps to nowhere by keeping our vision clear in our...
worship (1 Corinthians 10:6-7)
- speech (vv.9-10)
The important distinction in our decisions, though, is far greater than steps leading to a wall or a door. It’s the difference between living for those things that will wither and pass and choosing those that will remain forever (James 1:11-12; 1 Peter 1:22-25). —Regina Franklin
1 Corinthians 9:24–10:13
So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing (9:26).
Read Luke 12:23-34 and consider how God’s Word can help you assess the worthiness of the things that consume your time and attention.
What things that you have done turned out to be steps to nowhere? Considering each day as a step, what has God built into your life over the past year?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more