WashedIn what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?
Top Music Videos
Wednesday November 6
steps to nowhere
Serving with a group of students, I was picking up trash from the grounds of a home when I found a set of three sturdy brick steps. An ordinary set of stairs in every way, but they led nowhere. Climbing to the top simply led to the plank siding of the old, worn house.
So often we think of spiritual growth in terms of significant events or big transitions—whether in our lives or in our hearts. In doing so, we divorce ourselves from the real impact of everyday decisions. Small is significant, whether for good or evil. Solomon reminds us that the fruitfulness of our lives can be deeply affected by “little foxes” (Song of Solomon 2:15), and Jesus spoke of the immeasurable impact of mustard-seed moments in His kingdom (Luke 13:18-19).
Being strategic in our spiritual walk is all about seeking God and His will. It’s vital that we strive to remain obedient to Him and follow the lead of the Holy Spirit even in the “little” things. Working hard on whatever, making something happen, or passing time isn’t enough. We’re responsible for knowing and testing the worthiness of what we’re doing in life (1 Corinthians 3:12-14).
The temptation to squander—be it our money, our time, or our passion—is very real. We avoid building steps to nowhere by keeping our vision clear in our...
worship (1 Corinthians 10:6-7)
- speech (vv.9-10)
The important distinction in our decisions, though, is far greater than steps leading to a wall or a door. It’s the difference between living for those things that will wither and pass and choosing those that will remain forever (James 1:11-12; 1 Peter 1:22-25). —Regina Franklin
1 Corinthians 9:24–10:13
So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing (9:26).
Read Luke 12:23-34 and consider how God’s Word can help you assess the worthiness of the things that consume your time and attention.
What things that you have done turned out to be steps to nowhere? Considering each day as a step, what has God built into your life over the past year?
- Washed - In what ways is God calling you to visibly represent Him to someone else?...read more
- Sweet Music - What things have you been trying to handle without prayer?...read more
- Laughter - How do joy and laughter reveal the heart of God?...read more
- Powerful Patience - How can you trust God more even as you wait on Him?...read more
- Overwhelmed - What has sunk your spirits today?...read more
- Greater - How does the knowledge that God is greater than our storms impact the way you feel?...read more
- Voice of Reason - How do you respond to the rage of others?...read more
- Source of Truth - What does Scripture reveal about the issues on your mind today?...read more
- Little Things - Do you measure yourself and others according to God’s standards or the world’s?...read more
- Jesus the Reconciler - What does it add to your understanding of the cross to recognize that Jesus was enacting your reconciliation with God?...read more
- Tasting Heaven - How can you echo God’s future banquet by inviting diverse guests to your dinner parties?...read more
- Possible - What does it mean for you to know that Jesus is your Shepherd?...read more
- "Follow Me!" - Why are you following Jesus?...read more
- Here’s Hope - Why do we sometimes keep our struggles to ourselves?...read more
- Is Jesus Enough? - How do you react when you see injustice in the world, or when circumstances are against you and God seems to be silent?...read more
- Greater Work - What life experience has most challenged your understanding of prayer?...read more