VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
Wednesday November 6
steps to nowhere
Serving with a group of students, I was picking up trash from the grounds of a home when I found a set of three sturdy brick steps. An ordinary set of stairs in every way, but they led nowhere. Climbing to the top simply led to the plank siding of the old, worn house.
So often we think of spiritual growth in terms of significant events or big transitions—whether in our lives or in our hearts. In doing so, we divorce ourselves from the real impact of everyday decisions. Small is significant, whether for good or evil. Solomon reminds us that the fruitfulness of our lives can be deeply affected by “little foxes” (Song of Solomon 2:15), and Jesus spoke of the immeasurable impact of mustard-seed moments in His kingdom (Luke 13:18-19).
Being strategic in our spiritual walk is all about seeking God and His will. It’s vital that we strive to remain obedient to Him and follow the lead of the Holy Spirit even in the “little” things. Working hard on whatever, making something happen, or passing time isn’t enough. We’re responsible for knowing and testing the worthiness of what we’re doing in life (1 Corinthians 3:12-14).
The temptation to squander—be it our money, our time, or our passion—is very real. We avoid building steps to nowhere by keeping our vision clear in our...
worship (1 Corinthians 10:6-7)
- speech (vv.9-10)
The important distinction in our decisions, though, is far greater than steps leading to a wall or a door. It’s the difference between living for those things that will wither and pass and choosing those that will remain forever (James 1:11-12; 1 Peter 1:22-25). —Regina Franklin
1 Corinthians 9:24–10:13
So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing (9:26).
Read Luke 12:23-34 and consider how God’s Word can help you assess the worthiness of the things that consume your time and attention.
What things that you have done turned out to be steps to nowhere? Considering each day as a step, what has God built into your life over the past year?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more