Everyone Has a StoryWho needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today.
Top Music Videos
Wednesday November 6
steps to nowhere
Serving with a group of students, I was picking up trash from the grounds of a home when I found a set of three sturdy brick steps. An ordinary set of stairs in every way, but they led nowhere. Climbing to the top simply led to the plank siding of the old, worn house.
So often we think of spiritual growth in terms of significant events or big transitions—whether in our lives or in our hearts. In doing so, we divorce ourselves from the real impact of everyday decisions. Small is significant, whether for good or evil. Solomon reminds us that the fruitfulness of our lives can be deeply affected by “little foxes” (Song of Solomon 2:15), and Jesus spoke of the immeasurable impact of mustard-seed moments in His kingdom (Luke 13:18-19).
Being strategic in our spiritual walk is all about seeking God and His will. It’s vital that we strive to remain obedient to Him and follow the lead of the Holy Spirit even in the “little” things. Working hard on whatever, making something happen, or passing time isn’t enough. We’re responsible for knowing and testing the worthiness of what we’re doing in life (1 Corinthians 3:12-14).
The temptation to squander—be it our money, our time, or our passion—is very real. We avoid building steps to nowhere by keeping our vision clear in our...
worship (1 Corinthians 10:6-7)
- speech (vv.9-10)
The important distinction in our decisions, though, is far greater than steps leading to a wall or a door. It’s the difference between living for those things that will wither and pass and choosing those that will remain forever (James 1:11-12; 1 Peter 1:22-25). —Regina Franklin
1 Corinthians 9:24–10:13
So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadowboxing (9:26).
Read Luke 12:23-34 and consider how God’s Word can help you assess the worthiness of the things that consume your time and attention.
What things that you have done turned out to be steps to nowhere? Considering each day as a step, what has God built into your life over the past year?
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more