Responding to SufferingHow do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?
Top Music Videos
MONDAY, MARCH 20
Source of All Life
God said, “Let the land sprout with vegetation—every sort of seed-bearing plant, and trees that grow seed-bearing fruit” (v.11).
Talkingplants? Recent studies have shown that plants can communicate through airborne chemicals and underground networks of fungi. They can even warn neighboring plants about dangers in their environment. And we’ve gone millennia without knowing this!
One thing we have known is that plants need the sun to grow. Through photosynthesis, they use sunlight to create energy. But the creation account curiously states that plants were created before the sun (Genesis 1:11). How could this be?
A skeptical mind might jump to the conclusion that because the ancient Israelites did not understand biology, they didn’t understand that plants needed sunlight. But even though they might not have understood the concept of photosynthesis, the Israelites did grow crops and were acutely aware that their crops needed the sun to survive. So how can we understand this seemingly obvious mistake?
For the Israelites, the truest source of life wasn’t the sun (v.16). Yes, they knew that sunlight was vital to plant life, but they also knew that an even more important source of life existed: Yahweh. The book of Revelation also reinforces this idea. When Christ comes again to establish His kingdom, there will be no need for a sun “for the Lord God will shine on them” (Revelation 22:5).
Although this might seem like nothing more than an interesting biblical insight, it’s an important reminder for us to always remember who’s the first and true source of all life and blessings. It’s not our job, money, education, or intellect. All the blessings that we enjoy flow from our Creator: “Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens” (James 1:17). —Peter Chin
Read 1 Corinthians 8:4-6 to see how Paul describes God’s role as the source of all things, including life itself.
What do you sometimes believe is more responsible for your blessings than God? How can we better remember that every blessing truly comes from Him?
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more