Offering Refuge and HopeHow can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?
Top Music Videos
In June 1972, five men were caught in the burglary of a political party’s headquarters. Investigations revealed that the break-in was part of a high-level campaign of political espionage and sabotage.
For 2 years, the incumbent President, who was from the rival party, denied any involvement whatsoever. In reality, however, he had ordered a cover-up of the incident. The Watergate cover-up resulted in the resignation of the President of the United States and the imprisonment of 43 people, including dozens of high-ranking officials.
King David had committed deceit, adultery, and murder. But he conspired to cover up his wrongdoings. So God sent his prophet Nathan to confront and uncover David’s sins (2 Samuel 12:1).
Nathan said, “This is what the Lord says” (v.11). He reminded David that there was a higher authority to whom he, even as the king of Israel, must give an account. It was God who had blessed David. Without Him, David was simply a poor shepherd! (vv.7-8). In his covetousness and pride, David had rejected and despised God as his provider and protector! (v.10).
In grace, God removes the guilt of sin (v.13). But through government, God punishes sin. Although forgiven, David paid a heavy price for his sins: “four sheep for each sheep stolen” (Exodus 22:1; 2 Samuel 12:1-4) and his family would “live by the sword” (v.10). The child of adultery died (v.14), and David’s three other sons died “by the sword” in family feuds (13:29, 18:15; 1 Kings 2:25).
God forgave David (2 Samuel 12:13), so why was he still severely punished? (vv.10-12). Why doesn’t God’s forgiveness make all things well?
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more
- Beauty of Diversity - Do your relationships reflect the beautiful diversity of the early church?...read more
- Starting Small - Read Philippians 1:6 and consider how God will finish the good work He started in you....read more
- “For God’s Sake!” - What have been your responses to particularly painful moments in life?...read more