Red HousesWhat has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?
Top Music Videos
In June 1972, five men were caught in the burglary of a political party’s headquarters. Investigations revealed that the break-in was part of a high-level campaign of political espionage and sabotage.
For 2 years, the incumbent President, who was from the rival party, denied any involvement whatsoever. In reality, however, he had ordered a cover-up of the incident. The Watergate cover-up resulted in the resignation of the President of the United States and the imprisonment of 43 people, including dozens of high-ranking officials.
King David had committed deceit, adultery, and murder. But he conspired to cover up his wrongdoings. So God sent his prophet Nathan to confront and uncover David’s sins (2 Samuel 12:1).
Nathan said, “This is what the Lord says” (v.11). He reminded David that there was a higher authority to whom he, even as the king of Israel, must give an account. It was God who had blessed David. Without Him, David was simply a poor shepherd! (vv.7-8). In his covetousness and pride, David had rejected and despised God as his provider and protector! (v.10).
In grace, God removes the guilt of sin (v.13). But through government, God punishes sin. Although forgiven, David paid a heavy price for his sins: “four sheep for each sheep stolen” (Exodus 22:1; 2 Samuel 12:1-4) and his family would “live by the sword” (v.10). The child of adultery died (v.14), and David’s three other sons died “by the sword” in family feuds (13:29, 18:15; 1 Kings 2:25).
God forgave David (2 Samuel 12:13), so why was he still severely punished? (vv.10-12). Why doesn’t God’s forgiveness make all things well?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more