Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
In June 1972, five men were caught in the burglary of a political party’s headquarters. Investigations revealed that the break-in was part of a high-level campaign of political espionage and sabotage.
For 2 years, the incumbent President, who was from the rival party, denied any involvement whatsoever. In reality, however, he had ordered a cover-up of the incident. The Watergate cover-up resulted in the resignation of the President of the United States and the imprisonment of 43 people, including dozens of high-ranking officials.
King David had committed deceit, adultery, and murder. But he conspired to cover up his wrongdoings. So God sent his prophet Nathan to confront and uncover David’s sins (2 Samuel 12:1).
Nathan said, “This is what the Lord says” (v.11). He reminded David that there was a higher authority to whom he, even as the king of Israel, must give an account. It was God who had blessed David. Without Him, David was simply a poor shepherd! (vv.7-8). In his covetousness and pride, David had rejected and despised God as his provider and protector! (v.10).
In grace, God removes the guilt of sin (v.13). But through government, God punishes sin. Although forgiven, David paid a heavy price for his sins: “four sheep for each sheep stolen” (Exodus 22:1; 2 Samuel 12:1-4) and his family would “live by the sword” (v.10). The child of adultery died (v.14), and David’s three other sons died “by the sword” in family feuds (13:29, 18:15; 1 Kings 2:25).
God forgave David (2 Samuel 12:13), so why was he still severely punished? (vv.10-12). Why doesn’t God’s forgiveness make all things well?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more