Always LovedEven before he made the world, God loved us and chose us.
Top Christian Music Videos
shouting to silence
Last year, during a well-publicized political debate, one man repeatedly shouted his responses, talked over the other candidate’s responses, and snickered as his opponent stated his case. Why did he do it? He was striving to silence the other candidate with his noise.
Stephen could relate. As the fledgling New Testament church was just taking flight, the “man full of God’s grace and power” flew straight into harm’s way as he proclaimed God’s truth to a group of religious leaders (Acts 6:8-9). None of his opponents “could stand against the wisdom and the Spirit with which Stephen spoke” (v.10).
Stephen, instead of trying to defend himself, simply testified about God’s work of redemption through time— culminating in Jesus (Acts 7:52). What happened next is a sad but often-repeated way that some people try to resist God’s truth. The religious leaders “put their hands over their ears and began shouting” (v.57). The truth Stephen declared cut to their hearts, and so, being “heathen at heart and deaf to the truth,” they chose to silence him by stoning him (vv.51,58).
Even as he was dying, Stephen once again imitated Jesus by praying, “Lord, don’t charge them with this sin!” (v.60; Luke 23:34). He displayed with both words and actions the power of Jesus within him.
As you proclaim the gospel, you might hear angry noise from those who want to muffle your message. But Jesus says, “Tell them about Me” and “I will give you the right words” (Luke 21:13,15). Truth will ultimately trump the shouts of disbelief. —Tom Felten
Acts 6:8-15, 7:51-60
Then they put their hands over their ears and began shouting (7:57).
What can you do to proclaim God’s truth winsomely when people try to drown you out? Why is it important that we not be obnoxious as we witness for Jesus?
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more