Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday September 29
Brother Colm O’Connell, an Irish priest, went to Kenya in 1976 to volunteer for one year as a teacher at St. Patrick’s school. Thirty-six years later, he’s still there, and has established an internationally acclaimed running program. The school has provided 5 Olympic champions and 25 world champions, most recently David Rudisha in the 800 meters at the London Olympics. Each St. Patrick’s runner enters the field knowing they have been sent like the ones before them.
After the resurrection, Jesus told His disciples that He was sending them into the world in the same way that the Father had sent Him into the world (John 20:21). But how was Jesus sent into the world? Mark 10 recounts Jesus telling His disciples that He was sent “not to be served but to serve others and to give His life as a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45). God came...to give. To give Himself entirely and at great cost.
Let this end any questions about the extent of God’s love. When you wonder if God has abandoned you, look to the cross where Jesus hung as hell sought to devour Him. When you wonder if God rejects us, look to the cross where Jesus endured rejection and prayed with a suffering heart while gasping for air: “Father, forgive them” (Luke 23:34). If you wonder if God has any desire to gather up your grief, your death, and make something beautiful of it, look to the resurrection where Jesus triumphed over death in order to flood you with life.
And let this also tell us plainly how we, as Jesus’ followers, are to live in our world. We’re to give ourselves, entirely, in the name of the One who has already given everything. We are sent—just as Jesus was sent. —Winn Collier
John 20:19-23 As the Father has sent Me, so I am sending you (v.21).
Read Mark 10:35-45 How does the way of Jesus contrast to the way of James and John? How does the way of Jesus contrast with the rulers of this world?
How does the fact that Jesus was sent by God encourage you in your work for Him? Where is God sending you? Into what relationship, what decision, what vocation?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more