Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
Sunday September 29
Brother Colm O’Connell, an Irish priest, went to Kenya in 1976 to volunteer for one year as a teacher at St. Patrick’s school. Thirty-six years later, he’s still there, and has established an internationally acclaimed running program. The school has provided 5 Olympic champions and 25 world champions, most recently David Rudisha in the 800 meters at the London Olympics. Each St. Patrick’s runner enters the field knowing they have been sent like the ones before them.
After the resurrection, Jesus told His disciples that He was sending them into the world in the same way that the Father had sent Him into the world (John 20:21). But how was Jesus sent into the world? Mark 10 recounts Jesus telling His disciples that He was sent “not to be served but to serve others and to give His life as a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45). God came...to give. To give Himself entirely and at great cost.
Let this end any questions about the extent of God’s love. When you wonder if God has abandoned you, look to the cross where Jesus hung as hell sought to devour Him. When you wonder if God rejects us, look to the cross where Jesus endured rejection and prayed with a suffering heart while gasping for air: “Father, forgive them” (Luke 23:34). If you wonder if God has any desire to gather up your grief, your death, and make something beautiful of it, look to the resurrection where Jesus triumphed over death in order to flood you with life.
And let this also tell us plainly how we, as Jesus’ followers, are to live in our world. We’re to give ourselves, entirely, in the name of the One who has already given everything. We are sent—just as Jesus was sent. —Winn Collier
John 20:19-23 As the Father has sent Me, so I am sending you (v.21).
Read Mark 10:35-45 How does the way of Jesus contrast to the way of James and John? How does the way of Jesus contrast with the rulers of this world?
How does the fact that Jesus was sent by God encourage you in your work for Him? Where is God sending you? Into what relationship, what decision, what vocation?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more