In the GapWhat has God equipped you with to intercede for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday September 29
Brother Colm O’Connell, an Irish priest, went to Kenya in 1976 to volunteer for one year as a teacher at St. Patrick’s school. Thirty-six years later, he’s still there, and has established an internationally acclaimed running program. The school has provided 5 Olympic champions and 25 world champions, most recently David Rudisha in the 800 meters at the London Olympics. Each St. Patrick’s runner enters the field knowing they have been sent like the ones before them.
After the resurrection, Jesus told His disciples that He was sending them into the world in the same way that the Father had sent Him into the world (John 20:21). But how was Jesus sent into the world? Mark 10 recounts Jesus telling His disciples that He was sent “not to be served but to serve others and to give His life as a ransom for many” (Mark 10:45). God came...to give. To give Himself entirely and at great cost.
Let this end any questions about the extent of God’s love. When you wonder if God has abandoned you, look to the cross where Jesus hung as hell sought to devour Him. When you wonder if God rejects us, look to the cross where Jesus endured rejection and prayed with a suffering heart while gasping for air: “Father, forgive them” (Luke 23:34). If you wonder if God has any desire to gather up your grief, your death, and make something beautiful of it, look to the resurrection where Jesus triumphed over death in order to flood you with life.
And let this also tell us plainly how we, as Jesus’ followers, are to live in our world. We’re to give ourselves, entirely, in the name of the One who has already given everything. We are sent—just as Jesus was sent. —Winn Collier
John 20:19-23 As the Father has sent Me, so I am sending you (v.21).
Read Mark 10:35-45 How does the way of Jesus contrast to the way of James and John? How does the way of Jesus contrast with the rulers of this world?
How does the fact that Jesus was sent by God encourage you in your work for Him? Where is God sending you? Into what relationship, what decision, what vocation?
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more