Treasure that LastsWhat legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday October 28
The RQ-170 Sentinel is a sophisticated, secretive, unmanned stealth aircraft used to collect intelligence before and during military operations. It’s believed that this spy drone played a critical role in surveilling the compound in Pakistan where Osama bin Laden was hiding in the months before he was killed.
In another age, “Operation Occupy Canaan” had commenced. The military commander leading an attack on the highly fortified city of Jericho needed accurate intel on the enemy forces. It was no surprise that “Joshua secretly sent out two spies” to “scout out the land . . . especially around Jericho” (Joshua 2:1). But God’s strategy for conquering the city didn’t require such intel. So, we ask ourselves, Did the spies risk their lives unnecessarily in entering enemy territory? (vv.2-7).
While Joshua sent the spies to collect intel, God led them “to the house of a prostitute” to make contact with a woman who confessed, “The Lord your God is the supreme God of the heavens above and the earth below” (vv.1,11). Rahab’s faith, proven genuine by her helping the spies, brought her into the family of God (Hebrews 11:31). She later married Salmon, whose son Boaz married Ruth and became the father of Obed, the grandfather of Jesse, and the great-grandfather of David (Matthew 1:4-6; Ruth 4:20-22). This Canaanite prostitute was an ancestor of Jesus!
“The Lord knows those who are His” (2 Timothy 2:19). “He cares for those who trust in Him” (Nahum 1:7 NIV). God sent the two spies into enemy territory to save Rahab! (Joshua 2:17-21). “For the Lord . . . will not forsake His faithful ones” (Psalm 37:28 NIV) and “their inheritance will endure forever” (v.18). —K.T. Sim
Joshua 2:1-23 The Lord knows those who are His (2 Timothy 2:19).
What does God’s undeserved and saving grace mean to you? How does Rahab’s story bring you encouragement today?
- Treasure that Lasts - What legacy do you want to leave behind when you die?...read more
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more