Laying Down Our LivesWhat sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?
Top Christian Music Videos
sacrifices—good and bad
Jess likes money. In her brief 4 years on the planet, she has already learned that she can play her aunts and uncles for spare change. Cuteness and intelligence comprise a formidably lucrative combination. Her parents, quite naturally, are concerned over this. “Don’t ask for money,” they tell her. “You should earn it by doing chores.”
One day Jess discovered that a friend had received money from the “tooth fairy.” Jess headed straight to her dad’s toolbox and returned with a pair of pliers. Pointing to a tooth, she said, “This one’s loose.”
It was not. But the family got some great photos of Dad faking that he was “pulling” the tooth from Jess’ mouth. No doubt she would have quickly reconsidered her business transaction if she realized just how much pain that dollar would have cost. Some bargains just aren’t worth it.
How prone we are to seek an unwise route to an otherwise worthy goal! Adam and Eve coveted a knowledge whose nature they didn’t comprehend. Their shortsightedness resulted in the cursing of all creation (Genesis 3).
The trend has continued throughout history. Peter chose a violent response to the problem of Christ’s arrest in the garden (John 18:10). Had he been successful in his “defense” of Jesus, no sacrifice for sin would have been made. Jesus (once again) rebuked Peter, saying, “Put your sword back into its sheath. Shall I not drink from the cup of suffering the Father has given me?” (v.11).
Peter saw a problem and thought he knew the solution. He didn’t. His willingness to fight for Jesus was admirable, but highly misguided. He would have exchanged the life of Jesus in opposition to God’s perfect plan to rescue His fallen creation.
Not all commitment is prudent. Not all sacrifices are wise. —Tim Gustafson
Shall I not drink from the cup of suffering the Father has given me? (v.11).
Genesis 16:1-15 gives a fascinating account of Abraham’s attempt to help God fulfill His promise to him. What was the result?
What long-term benefits are you potentially sacrificing by shortsighted decisions? What good commitments have you made recently? Why were they good?
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more
- Famous in God’s Eyes - Who needs you to humbly, lovingly serve them today?...read more