Dirty LaundryWhen you need to confront someone, how do you react?
Top Christian Music Videos
sacrifices—good and bad
Jess likes money. In her brief 4 years on the planet, she has already learned that she can play her aunts and uncles for spare change. Cuteness and intelligence comprise a formidably lucrative combination. Her parents, quite naturally, are concerned over this. “Don’t ask for money,” they tell her. “You should earn it by doing chores.”
One day Jess discovered that a friend had received money from the “tooth fairy.” Jess headed straight to her dad’s toolbox and returned with a pair of pliers. Pointing to a tooth, she said, “This one’s loose.”
It was not. But the family got some great photos of Dad faking that he was “pulling” the tooth from Jess’ mouth. No doubt she would have quickly reconsidered her business transaction if she realized just how much pain that dollar would have cost. Some bargains just aren’t worth it.
How prone we are to seek an unwise route to an otherwise worthy goal! Adam and Eve coveted a knowledge whose nature they didn’t comprehend. Their shortsightedness resulted in the cursing of all creation (Genesis 3).
The trend has continued throughout history. Peter chose a violent response to the problem of Christ’s arrest in the garden (John 18:10). Had he been successful in his “defense” of Jesus, no sacrifice for sin would have been made. Jesus (once again) rebuked Peter, saying, “Put your sword back into its sheath. Shall I not drink from the cup of suffering the Father has given me?” (v.11).
Peter saw a problem and thought he knew the solution. He didn’t. His willingness to fight for Jesus was admirable, but highly misguided. He would have exchanged the life of Jesus in opposition to God’s perfect plan to rescue His fallen creation.
Not all commitment is prudent. Not all sacrifices are wise. —Tim Gustafson
Shall I not drink from the cup of suffering the Father has given me? (v.11).
Genesis 16:1-15 gives a fascinating account of Abraham’s attempt to help God fulfill His promise to him. What was the result?
What long-term benefits are you potentially sacrificing by shortsighted decisions? What good commitments have you made recently? Why were they good?
- Dirty Laundry - When you need to confront someone, how do you react?...read more
- Tender Hearts - How can we avoid being spiritually stubborn and unresponsive to God?...read more
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more