Cleansing and CallingWhat does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Saturday October 5
right with God
Theologians are debating what the apostle Paul meant when he said that “we are made right with God through faith and not by obeying the law” (Romans 3:28). Traditional Protestants follow Martin Luther’s insight that sinners like us can’t do enough good works to satisfy a holy God. We become right with God by putting our faith in Jesus. When we trust Christ, God our Father performs what Luther called the “joyous exchange,” placing the guilt of our sin upon Jesus and counting His righteousness as our own.
But some scholars are challenging this longstanding view. They say that Luther projected his monastic struggles upon Paul, and that the apostle was making a very different point. They say Paul used the term justification (being “right with God”) not to describe how an individual receives salvation through Jesus, but how Jews and Gentiles could live rightly with each other. So the new view states that justification isn’t about personal salvation but about ethnic reconciliation.
As with many issues, the right answer to this debate is not either/or but both/and. In the first half of Ephesians 2 Paul celebrates the precious gospel of personal salvation. We “were dead because of our sins,” but God “raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms” (vv.5-6). The second half explains that God, who saved us individually, has not left us to ourselves; He has “made peace between Jews and Gentiles by creating in Himself one new people from the two groups” (v.15).
Paul didn’t separate personal salvation from corporate unity; he brought them together. The same righteousness that forgives our sin unites us with other believers. —Mike Wittmer
Read 2 Corinthians 5:14-21 and note what it says about Jesus and the reconciliation found in Him.
Do you tend to focus more on the gospel’s teaching of personal salvation or ethnic reconciliation? Is one more important than the other? How do you think they’re connected?
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more