Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
After some knee surgery, I was unprepared for the level of physical therapy required to restore my range of motion. According to my physical therapist, the surgical procedure had caused trauma to my leg, and my muscles had shut down. Years of physical movement had been undone in 20 minutes. But I had to commit to the process of healing. Some days were tedious, some were downright painful. But the choice was clear: I would either have to push through the hurt to find healing, or I could avoid it and remain disabled.
A relational wound is no less traumatic. Much like a muscle responding to surgery, painful circumstances leave us feeling helpless and unable to experience a normal range of emotions. Whether the injury came as a result of our own failings or the actions of others, we can’t experience healing without the power of the cross. In our pursuit of restoration, we must:
- Capture God’s vision for something greater than what we’re currently experiencing by keeping our eyes on Jesus (Hebrews 12:1-2, 2:9-10).
- Persevere in our painful circumstances as Jesus perfects our faith. He set the example for us by willingly going to the cross (12:2-3; Isaiah 53:5)
- Trust in the Father’s love, even when He disciplines us and shows us things we need to change (Hebrews 12:5-7; Revelation 3:19).
As God rebuilds our lives, we must submit to His work. For only He can bind up our broken hearts (Isaiah 61:1) as we “take a new grip with [our] tired hands and strengthen [our] weak knees” and “mark out a straight path for [our] feet” (Hebrews 12:13). He restores as we choose to pray and obey. —Regina Franklin
So take a new grip with your tired hands and strengthen your weak knees (v.12).
In what areas have you been spiritually disabled because of difficult or even traumatic experiences? What does restoration in these areas practically require of you?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more