Test of CourageRead Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God.
Top Christian Music Videos
TUESDAY, DECEMBER 27
2 Corinthians 12:1-10
That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong (v.10).
The Laingsburg flood of 1981 was the worst of its kind in South African history. In two days nearly half a meter (almost 17 inches) of rain fell, 104 people died, and 184 houses were destroyed. The town of Laingsburg was built close to the “dry river bed” of the Buffalo River. What the town engineers failed to realize, however, is that this relatively small river floods its banks every 100 years or so. Although the local farmers were initially grateful for the rain, their relief soon turned to dread as a six-meter (almost twenty-foot) wall of water rushed through the town, carrying with it people, animals, houses, and belongings.
When we endure a flood of challenging circumstances, it can threaten to drown our resolve and suffocate our faith. The apostle Paul faced his fair share of tough times. He was shipwrecked, imprisoned, beaten, and robbed (2 Corinthians 11:23-29), yet he remained firm in his confident trust in God and concluded that he “would rather boast about the things that show how weak I am” (v.30).
The apostle boasted in his weakness so that the power of Christ could work through him. He took pleasure in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles he suffered for Jesus. Time and again, God showed Himself faithful to Paul, not by keeping him from the dark, rushing waters of suffering and pain, but rather by declaring, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness” (12:9). Jesus walks with us though the hard times and equips us to grow in character through them.
Paul’s epiphany led him to declare, “For when I am weak, then I am strong” (v.10). Look to Jesus and the way He’s molding you when difficulties come calling. —Ruth O’Reilly-Smith
Read Romans 5:3-5 to see why it’s possible to rejoice even during trying times.
Does it feel as if you’re drowning in your troubles and pain? How can God’s grace provide what you need to press on?
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more
- Moving Past Memories - How can experiencing God’s forgiveness for our sin help us to extend grace to others?...read more
- There is Hope - What has caused you to lose hope recently?...read more
- Transformed! - How has God’s power helped you overcome fear?...read more
- Breaking Toward Freedom - Where are you experiencing a need for freedom?...read more
- A Spiritual Powerlift - How are you practicing walking in the power of the Holy Spirit?...read more
- Avoiding Ditches - What distractions are you facing?...read more
- Leading Somewhere Good - How are you seeking to walk with God today?...read more