Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Friday September 6
What do you get when you cross a Frisbee with a life preserver? The answer is an invention called a ResQDisc. When a rescuer throws it to a drowning person, the light, durable cord inside uncoils, allowing the person to be pulled to safety. The device allows a rescuer to aid someone without jumping into the water himself.
When we see a person struggling, many of us are compelled to “jump in” and lend a hand. This reaction isn’t entirely wrong—at least spiritually speaking—for Paul writes, “If another believer is overcome by some sin...help that person back onto the right path” (Galatians 6:1). Helping is well worth the friction that often accompanies confrontation. It means outwardly confirming what the struggling person feels inwardly—the Holy Spirit’s conviction (Ezekiel 36:27).
Nevertheless, humility and gentleness matter when we talk with friends who are tangled in sin (Galatians 6:1). These qualities demonstrate God’s grace, and they guard us against spiritual pride. A finger-in-the-face approach may produce excessive guilt and shame, but tenderness welcomes struggling people out of isolation and brings them back to intimacy with God and other believers.
Believers “who are godly” are best suited for this kind of intervention (v.1). Remaining strong in our faith has wonderful personal benefits—peace (Isaiah 26:3), strength (40:31), and joy (Psalm 16:11). Even so, the benefits also extend outside of ourselves. When others need help, we’ll be filled and ready for God to use. Although ultimately “we are each responsible for our own conduct” (Galatians 6:5), it’s important to get involved when we see a fellow believer drowning in sin. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
If another believer is overcome by some sin...help that person back onto the right path (v.1).
What kind of spiritual preparation may be important for someone who confronts the sin in another person? What’s God’s will for anyone who’s tangled in sin?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more