Confession and BlessingHow does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?
Top Christian Music Videos
Friday September 6
What do you get when you cross a Frisbee with a life preserver? The answer is an invention called a ResQDisc. When a rescuer throws it to a drowning person, the light, durable cord inside uncoils, allowing the person to be pulled to safety. The device allows a rescuer to aid someone without jumping into the water himself.
When we see a person struggling, many of us are compelled to “jump in” and lend a hand. This reaction isn’t entirely wrong—at least spiritually speaking—for Paul writes, “If another believer is overcome by some sin...help that person back onto the right path” (Galatians 6:1). Helping is well worth the friction that often accompanies confrontation. It means outwardly confirming what the struggling person feels inwardly—the Holy Spirit’s conviction (Ezekiel 36:27).
Nevertheless, humility and gentleness matter when we talk with friends who are tangled in sin (Galatians 6:1). These qualities demonstrate God’s grace, and they guard us against spiritual pride. A finger-in-the-face approach may produce excessive guilt and shame, but tenderness welcomes struggling people out of isolation and brings them back to intimacy with God and other believers.
Believers “who are godly” are best suited for this kind of intervention (v.1). Remaining strong in our faith has wonderful personal benefits—peace (Isaiah 26:3), strength (40:31), and joy (Psalm 16:11). Even so, the benefits also extend outside of ourselves. When others need help, we’ll be filled and ready for God to use. Although ultimately “we are each responsible for our own conduct” (Galatians 6:5), it’s important to get involved when we see a fellow believer drowning in sin. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
If another believer is overcome by some sin...help that person back onto the right path (v.1).
What kind of spiritual preparation may be important for someone who confronts the sin in another person? What’s God’s will for anyone who’s tangled in sin?
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more
- Wexting? - For what challenge do you need to seek God’s wisdom today?...read more
- A Better Question - What kinds of questions do you ask God most often?...read more
- Winning Wars - How has God equipped others to help you make wise decisions?...read more
- Blinding Blue Pants - What role does accountability play in your life?...read more