Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
Friday September 6
What do you get when you cross a Frisbee with a life preserver? The answer is an invention called a ResQDisc. When a rescuer throws it to a drowning person, the light, durable cord inside uncoils, allowing the person to be pulled to safety. The device allows a rescuer to aid someone without jumping into the water himself.
When we see a person struggling, many of us are compelled to “jump in” and lend a hand. This reaction isn’t entirely wrong—at least spiritually speaking—for Paul writes, “If another believer is overcome by some sin...help that person back onto the right path” (Galatians 6:1). Helping is well worth the friction that often accompanies confrontation. It means outwardly confirming what the struggling person feels inwardly—the Holy Spirit’s conviction (Ezekiel 36:27).
Nevertheless, humility and gentleness matter when we talk with friends who are tangled in sin (Galatians 6:1). These qualities demonstrate God’s grace, and they guard us against spiritual pride. A finger-in-the-face approach may produce excessive guilt and shame, but tenderness welcomes struggling people out of isolation and brings them back to intimacy with God and other believers.
Believers “who are godly” are best suited for this kind of intervention (v.1). Remaining strong in our faith has wonderful personal benefits—peace (Isaiah 26:3), strength (40:31), and joy (Psalm 16:11). Even so, the benefits also extend outside of ourselves. When others need help, we’ll be filled and ready for God to use. Although ultimately “we are each responsible for our own conduct” (Galatians 6:5), it’s important to get involved when we see a fellow believer drowning in sin. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
If another believer is overcome by some sin...help that person back onto the right path (v.1).
What kind of spiritual preparation may be important for someone who confronts the sin in another person? What’s God’s will for anyone who’s tangled in sin?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more