The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
Friday September 6
What do you get when you cross a Frisbee with a life preserver? The answer is an invention called a ResQDisc. When a rescuer throws it to a drowning person, the light, durable cord inside uncoils, allowing the person to be pulled to safety. The device allows a rescuer to aid someone without jumping into the water himself.
When we see a person struggling, many of us are compelled to “jump in” and lend a hand. This reaction isn’t entirely wrong—at least spiritually speaking—for Paul writes, “If another believer is overcome by some sin...help that person back onto the right path” (Galatians 6:1). Helping is well worth the friction that often accompanies confrontation. It means outwardly confirming what the struggling person feels inwardly—the Holy Spirit’s conviction (Ezekiel 36:27).
Nevertheless, humility and gentleness matter when we talk with friends who are tangled in sin (Galatians 6:1). These qualities demonstrate God’s grace, and they guard us against spiritual pride. A finger-in-the-face approach may produce excessive guilt and shame, but tenderness welcomes struggling people out of isolation and brings them back to intimacy with God and other believers.
Believers “who are godly” are best suited for this kind of intervention (v.1). Remaining strong in our faith has wonderful personal benefits—peace (Isaiah 26:3), strength (40:31), and joy (Psalm 16:11). Even so, the benefits also extend outside of ourselves. When others need help, we’ll be filled and ready for God to use. Although ultimately “we are each responsible for our own conduct” (Galatians 6:5), it’s important to get involved when we see a fellow believer drowning in sin. —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
If another believer is overcome by some sin...help that person back onto the right path (v.1).
What kind of spiritual preparation may be important for someone who confronts the sin in another person? What’s God’s will for anyone who’s tangled in sin?
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more