John's QuestionWhat steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?
Top Music Videos
Sunday September 22
Recently, some friends and I read the Gospels out loud during a weekend retreat. The cabin we rented, nestled in a beautiful setting, was owned by a religious community. We took in a few of their services—enduring worship that was lifeless and joyless. Later, when we met with those who had led the services, we realized that the values they espoused conflicted sharply with biblical Christianity. At that point, we realized that more than just the worship was lacking real life.
Paul, in addressing the believers in Corinth, stated, “You belong to Christ Jesus” (1 Corinthians 1:4). This phrase means they were in Jesus. They’d been saved from their sins by Him, were in Him, and shared in His eternal “riches” (Ephesians 3:6). What amazing, joy eliciting truths! This should cause all believers to worship Him gratefully and passionately.
The instruction that follows in the remaining chapters is all based on the foundational truths found in 1 Corinthians 1. These include the reality that believers are “called by God to be His own holy people” (v.2). We’re to live “pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ’s return” (Philippians 1:10). Lives like these reflect the righteous commands and instruction found in the Gospels and throughout God’s Word.
So real life in Christ is more than simply going through the motions of musty worship, and it certainly isn’t redefining values based on our desires. It’s expressed in the lives of ardent worship of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And it shines from the lives of those who are carefully, obediently following God’s commands as they “eagerly wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 1:7). That’s the life Jesus reveals in the Gospels—real life! —Tom Felten
Read Romans 12:1-2 and consider what it says about holiness, worship, and having minds transformed by Jesus.
How does your worship reflect the joy you’ve found in Christ? Why is it vital that we not live out an altered version of God’s Word based on our sinful desires?
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more