The Lost VirtueIn what common circumstances are you most impatient?
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday September 22
Recently, some friends and I read the Gospels out loud during a weekend retreat. The cabin we rented, nestled in a beautiful setting, was owned by a religious community. We took in a few of their services—enduring worship that was lifeless and joyless. Later, when we met with those who had led the services, we realized that the values they espoused conflicted sharply with biblical Christianity. At that point, we realized that more than just the worship was lacking real life.
Paul, in addressing the believers in Corinth, stated, “You belong to Christ Jesus” (1 Corinthians 1:4). This phrase means they were in Jesus. They’d been saved from their sins by Him, were in Him, and shared in His eternal “riches” (Ephesians 3:6). What amazing, joy eliciting truths! This should cause all believers to worship Him gratefully and passionately.
The instruction that follows in the remaining chapters is all based on the foundational truths found in 1 Corinthians 1. These include the reality that believers are “called by God to be His own holy people” (v.2). We’re to live “pure and blameless lives until the day of Christ’s return” (Philippians 1:10). Lives like these reflect the righteous commands and instruction found in the Gospels and throughout God’s Word.
So real life in Christ is more than simply going through the motions of musty worship, and it certainly isn’t redefining values based on our desires. It’s expressed in the lives of ardent worship of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. And it shines from the lives of those who are carefully, obediently following God’s commands as they “eagerly wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 1:7). That’s the life Jesus reveals in the Gospels—real life! —Tom Felten
Read Romans 12:1-2 and consider what it says about holiness, worship, and having minds transformed by Jesus.
How does your worship reflect the joy you’ve found in Christ? Why is it vital that we not live out an altered version of God’s Word based on our sinful desires?
- The Lost Virtue - In what common circumstances are you most impatient?...read more
- Right and Wrong Words - Is your tongue quick to criticize but slow to apologize?...read more
- Kindness and Hospitality - How are you using your God-given gifts to love and serve others?...read more
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more