The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
put to, put on
Though it’s my job to be an actor, I have given my life to God. I am very comfortable and firm in that, but I still have to be on this [TV] show. It’s the number one [rated] comedy, but it’s very inappropriate and the themes are very inappropriate. I have to be this person I am not.”
When an actor said those words in 2012, they ignited a firestorm of well-publicized contrasting opinions. But I’m sure many believers in Jesus can relate. For we too can feel compelled to act in ways that don’t reflect our faith.
As Paul wrote to members of the young church at Colossae, he implored them to live out their “new life with Christ” (Colossians 3:1). Instead of acting like the world, Paul told them to “think about the things of heaven” (v.2). Then, to make his countercultural teaching clear, he contrasted two “puts”:
“Put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you” (v.5). Paul listed a number of ways believers could wrongly follow the lead of the world—sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, greed, idolatry, anger, rage, malice, slander, bad language, lying (vv.5-9). These things, he wrote, all reflect the “old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds” (v.9).
- “Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him” (v.10). The apostle wrote that true believers should reflect holiness, mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness, love, peace, thankfulness (vv.12-15). These things mark those who are surrendered to God.
Yes, we can be tempted to act in ways that go against our “new life” found in Jesus (v.11). But as we “put to” and “put on,” we live out a real faith that puts Christ first! —Tom Felten
Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him (v.10).
Read what Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:22-24 and consider who helps us “put to” and “put on.”
What things do you need to put to death in your life? As you strive to put on your new nature, how can you experience the Holy Spirit’s transforming power?
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more