He Will Handle ItWhat burden will you give to Him today?
Top Christian Music Videos
put to, put on
Though it’s my job to be an actor, I have given my life to God. I am very comfortable and firm in that, but I still have to be on this [TV] show. It’s the number one [rated] comedy, but it’s very inappropriate and the themes are very inappropriate. I have to be this person I am not.”
When an actor said those words in 2012, they ignited a firestorm of well-publicized contrasting opinions. But I’m sure many believers in Jesus can relate. For we too can feel compelled to act in ways that don’t reflect our faith.
As Paul wrote to members of the young church at Colossae, he implored them to live out their “new life with Christ” (Colossians 3:1). Instead of acting like the world, Paul told them to “think about the things of heaven” (v.2). Then, to make his countercultural teaching clear, he contrasted two “puts”:
“Put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you” (v.5). Paul listed a number of ways believers could wrongly follow the lead of the world—sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, greed, idolatry, anger, rage, malice, slander, bad language, lying (vv.5-9). These things, he wrote, all reflect the “old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds” (v.9).
- “Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him” (v.10). The apostle wrote that true believers should reflect holiness, mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness, love, peace, thankfulness (vv.12-15). These things mark those who are surrendered to God.
Yes, we can be tempted to act in ways that go against our “new life” found in Jesus (v.11). But as we “put to” and “put on,” we live out a real faith that puts Christ first! —Tom Felten
Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him (v.10).
Read what Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:22-24 and consider who helps us “put to” and “put on.”
What things do you need to put to death in your life? As you strive to put on your new nature, how can you experience the Holy Spirit’s transforming power?
- He Will Handle It - What burden will you give to Him today?...read more
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more