Everyone Has a StoryWho needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today.
Top Music Videos
put to, put on
Though it’s my job to be an actor, I have given my life to God. I am very comfortable and firm in that, but I still have to be on this [TV] show. It’s the number one [rated] comedy, but it’s very inappropriate and the themes are very inappropriate. I have to be this person I am not.”
When an actor said those words in 2012, they ignited a firestorm of well-publicized contrasting opinions. But I’m sure many believers in Jesus can relate. For we too can feel compelled to act in ways that don’t reflect our faith.
As Paul wrote to members of the young church at Colossae, he implored them to live out their “new life with Christ” (Colossians 3:1). Instead of acting like the world, Paul told them to “think about the things of heaven” (v.2). Then, to make his countercultural teaching clear, he contrasted two “puts”:
“Put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you” (v.5). Paul listed a number of ways believers could wrongly follow the lead of the world—sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires, greed, idolatry, anger, rage, malice, slander, bad language, lying (vv.5-9). These things, he wrote, all reflect the “old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds” (v.9).
- “Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him” (v.10). The apostle wrote that true believers should reflect holiness, mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness, love, peace, thankfulness (vv.12-15). These things mark those who are surrendered to God.
Yes, we can be tempted to act in ways that go against our “new life” found in Jesus (v.11). But as we “put to” and “put on,” we live out a real faith that puts Christ first! —Tom Felten
Put on your new nature, and be renewed as you learn to know your Creator and become like him (v.10).
Read what Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:22-24 and consider who helps us “put to” and “put on.”
What things do you need to put to death in your life? As you strive to put on your new nature, how can you experience the Holy Spirit’s transforming power?
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more
- Greater Meaning - How is Jesus rescuing, transforming, and giving your life greater meaning?...read more
- Time for Tea! - What situations frustrate you?...read more
- Driving for Peace - Who have you been engaged in conflict with recently?...read more