Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
Saturday September 28
proven by patience
While dining with friends at a restaurant in Uganda, my 9-year-old son and I requested refills of our iced tea. Because friends own the restaurant and it’s a relaxed environment, when I saw our waiter was busy serving others, I picked up our glasses and started toward the kitchen. That’s when my son, Wasswa, quietly said to me, “Mommy, it’s OK if it takes them a little while to bring us our tea. Please be patient.”
Wasswa was sitting at the “kids” table and I was at the “adults” table. So upon returning to my seat, I told my friends what Wasswa had said. We marveled at my son’s example and discussed how much we could learn from him.
The apostle Paul wrote that “we prove ourselves by our purity, our understanding, our patience, our kindness, by the Holy Spirit within us, and by our sincere love” (2 Corinthians 6:6). Time and time again, I’m exposed to believers, including my son, who display more patience than I do. Their example speaks volumes. But I still tend to wonder, “How long should we wait for something before we take action?”
In the case of our tea, after waiting an additional 20 minutes for the server to return to our table, my son lightly tapped me on the shoulder and said, “Mommy, I think it’s okay to go [to the kitchen] now.” Wasswa’s effort to be discreet and not draw attention to the slow service prompted me to enter the kitchen with a kind and understanding attitude instead of an angry and entitled one.
Webster’s Dictionary states that patience is “the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.” Today, let’s call on the Holy Spirit to help us exercise patience more readily. —Roxanne Robbins
2 Corinthians 6:1-10
We prove ourselves by our purity, our understanding, our patience, our kindness, by the Holy Spirit within us, and by our sincere love (v.6).
Read 1 Timothy 1:16 and see what it reveals about God’s great patience?
What does impatience reveal about our character? How does remaining patient provide an example of God’s character to others?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more