Happy Ascension DayWhat’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?
Top Music Videos
Saturday September 28
proven by patience
While dining with friends at a restaurant in Uganda, my 9-year-old son and I requested refills of our iced tea. Because friends own the restaurant and it’s a relaxed environment, when I saw our waiter was busy serving others, I picked up our glasses and started toward the kitchen. That’s when my son, Wasswa, quietly said to me, “Mommy, it’s OK if it takes them a little while to bring us our tea. Please be patient.”
Wasswa was sitting at the “kids” table and I was at the “adults” table. So upon returning to my seat, I told my friends what Wasswa had said. We marveled at my son’s example and discussed how much we could learn from him.
The apostle Paul wrote that “we prove ourselves by our purity, our understanding, our patience, our kindness, by the Holy Spirit within us, and by our sincere love” (2 Corinthians 6:6). Time and time again, I’m exposed to believers, including my son, who display more patience than I do. Their example speaks volumes. But I still tend to wonder, “How long should we wait for something before we take action?”
In the case of our tea, after waiting an additional 20 minutes for the server to return to our table, my son lightly tapped me on the shoulder and said, “Mommy, I think it’s okay to go [to the kitchen] now.” Wasswa’s effort to be discreet and not draw attention to the slow service prompted me to enter the kitchen with a kind and understanding attitude instead of an angry and entitled one.
Webster’s Dictionary states that patience is “the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.” Today, let’s call on the Holy Spirit to help us exercise patience more readily. —Roxanne Robbins
2 Corinthians 6:1-10
We prove ourselves by our purity, our understanding, our patience, our kindness, by the Holy Spirit within us, and by our sincere love (v.6).
Read 1 Timothy 1:16 and see what it reveals about God’s great patience?
What does impatience reveal about our character? How does remaining patient provide an example of God’s character to others?
- Happy Ascension Day - What’s one way you can celebrate the ascension of Jesus Christ today?...read more
- Mixed Bag - Are there any blind spots in your life?...read more
- All We Need - How might you trust God for the bounty He alone can provide?...read more
- Simple Things - What simple pleasures can you rediscover with God today?...read more
- Thirsty? - How has God provided our identity and significance in Jesus?...read more
- Freedom from Stress - How can loving and obeying God help you to find the peace He has promised His children?...read more
- Portrait of Jesus - What did Jesus endure for you?...read more
- Slow Learners - What are you struggling to understand in your faith journey with Jesus?...read more
- The Same God - Why would it be wrong for God to not deal with sin in such a serious way?...read more
- In Jesus’ Love - What Scripture verses have been most encouraging to you?...read more
- Don’t Hesitate - How can you become more confident in sharing your faith?...read more
- Broken Instruments - Has anyone ever paid the cost of fixing something you’ve broken or destroyed?...read more
- True Sacrifice - How can you better remind yourself of your great wealth in Christ?...read more
- Jesus and the Junk - What are you trying to hide from God and others?...read more
- Changing Our Tune - What angers you today and why?...read more
- Blending In - What does it mean to stand for Jesus instead of blending in?...read more