Prayerful RetreatHow often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday November 10
privilege and responsibility
William Arthur Ward, a writer of inspirational maxims, penned these words of wisdom to inspire people to be responsible and do the right thing: “Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: help. Do more than believe: practice. Do more than be fair: Be kind. Do more than forgive: forget. Do more than dream: work.”
Before a king named Lemuel ascended the throne, it’s likely that his mother passionately appealed to him to move beyond enjoying the privileges of royalty and to accept responsibility (Proverbs 31:1). The first way she appealed to him to be responsible was to practice self-control (vv.2-4). She wanted him to practice self-control in the area of sexuality and the use of alcohol because she knew if these became addictions, they would dissipate his soul, and he would ignore the needs of the people. It would surely bring him to ruin. Lemuel’s mother could point to King Solomon, who pursued these two pleasures (Ecclesiastes 2:8). These and other pursuits left him emotionally empty and chasing after the wind (v.11).
The second way Lemuel’s mother encouraged her son to be responsible was to practice justice (vv.8-9). The king was to defend those who were displaced and to use his power for those who had no power. When he defended the cause of orphans, widows, foreigners, and others who were marginalized in the land, he was reflecting the character of God (Deuteronomy 24:17; Psalm 68:5; Proverbs 22:22, 31:8).
Let’s take to heart the ancient wisdom from Proverbs and encourage our children and others to move beyond the minimum of enjoying the privileges of position. As followers of Jesus, let’s take our responsibilities seriously. —Marvin Williams
The sayings of King Lemuel contain this message, which his mother taught him (v.1).
Read 1 Kings 11:1-13 to see how Solomon enjoyed the privileges of his position but failed to accept the responsibilities of being king.
What are the privileges and responsibilities of the position(s) you hold? What more do you need to do to honor God by fulfilling your responsibilities?
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more
- Income vs. Investment - How will you be “rich in good works” today?...read more