Based on a True StoryWhat restoration has God brought to your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday November 10
privilege and responsibility
William Arthur Ward, a writer of inspirational maxims, penned these words of wisdom to inspire people to be responsible and do the right thing: “Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: help. Do more than believe: practice. Do more than be fair: Be kind. Do more than forgive: forget. Do more than dream: work.”
Before a king named Lemuel ascended the throne, it’s likely that his mother passionately appealed to him to move beyond enjoying the privileges of royalty and to accept responsibility (Proverbs 31:1). The first way she appealed to him to be responsible was to practice self-control (vv.2-4). She wanted him to practice self-control in the area of sexuality and the use of alcohol because she knew if these became addictions, they would dissipate his soul, and he would ignore the needs of the people. It would surely bring him to ruin. Lemuel’s mother could point to King Solomon, who pursued these two pleasures (Ecclesiastes 2:8). These and other pursuits left him emotionally empty and chasing after the wind (v.11).
The second way Lemuel’s mother encouraged her son to be responsible was to practice justice (vv.8-9). The king was to defend those who were displaced and to use his power for those who had no power. When he defended the cause of orphans, widows, foreigners, and others who were marginalized in the land, he was reflecting the character of God (Deuteronomy 24:17; Psalm 68:5; Proverbs 22:22, 31:8).
Let’s take to heart the ancient wisdom from Proverbs and encourage our children and others to move beyond the minimum of enjoying the privileges of position. As followers of Jesus, let’s take our responsibilities seriously. —Marvin Williams
The sayings of King Lemuel contain this message, which his mother taught him (v.1).
Read 1 Kings 11:1-13 to see how Solomon enjoyed the privileges of his position but failed to accept the responsibilities of being king.
What are the privileges and responsibilities of the position(s) you hold? What more do you need to do to honor God by fulfilling your responsibilities?
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more