Rejoicing in Deep NeedWhat happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?
Top Christian Music Videos
Sunday November 10
privilege and responsibility
William Arthur Ward, a writer of inspirational maxims, penned these words of wisdom to inspire people to be responsible and do the right thing: “Do more than belong: participate. Do more than care: help. Do more than believe: practice. Do more than be fair: Be kind. Do more than forgive: forget. Do more than dream: work.”
Before a king named Lemuel ascended the throne, it’s likely that his mother passionately appealed to him to move beyond enjoying the privileges of royalty and to accept responsibility (Proverbs 31:1). The first way she appealed to him to be responsible was to practice self-control (vv.2-4). She wanted him to practice self-control in the area of sexuality and the use of alcohol because she knew if these became addictions, they would dissipate his soul, and he would ignore the needs of the people. It would surely bring him to ruin. Lemuel’s mother could point to King Solomon, who pursued these two pleasures (Ecclesiastes 2:8). These and other pursuits left him emotionally empty and chasing after the wind (v.11).
The second way Lemuel’s mother encouraged her son to be responsible was to practice justice (vv.8-9). The king was to defend those who were displaced and to use his power for those who had no power. When he defended the cause of orphans, widows, foreigners, and others who were marginalized in the land, he was reflecting the character of God (Deuteronomy 24:17; Psalm 68:5; Proverbs 22:22, 31:8).
Let’s take to heart the ancient wisdom from Proverbs and encourage our children and others to move beyond the minimum of enjoying the privileges of position. As followers of Jesus, let’s take our responsibilities seriously. —Marvin Williams
The sayings of King Lemuel contain this message, which his mother taught him (v.1).
Read 1 Kings 11:1-13 to see how Solomon enjoyed the privileges of his position but failed to accept the responsibilities of being king.
What are the privileges and responsibilities of the position(s) you hold? What more do you need to do to honor God by fulfilling your responsibilities?
- Rejoicing in Deep Need - What happens when you choose to rejoice in God even when you’re in deep need?...read more
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more