The First Day—AgainHow does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?
Top Music Videos
FRIDAY, MARCH 17
Play Your Part
All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it (v.27).
Maurice Andre was one of the best trumpet players the world has known. He once said that a good trumpet player had to be “like a matador in a bull ring.” He continued, “I see flutists and oboists go on the stage gingerly. If you do that with the trumpet you’re finished.” I believe he was saying that only a certain personality type possesses what it takes to succeed as a trumpet player. Trumpeters can’t hide; every note is heard by every listener! If you don’t have the God-given disposition to handle that, it can truly destroy you.
The apostle Paul described the various gifts given to the members of the church by the Holy Spirit. He stressed that all the gifts are a part of the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:14-18) and all are interdependent (vv.15-17). He further emphasized that each gift was given to particular people, and not everyone exercised the same gift. We all have our special gift or gifts (vv.27-30). The problem that existed then—and still does today—is that some gifts seem to make for greater recognition than others, and in our humanness we tend to crave those gifts instead of simply playing our part.
But that’s not God’s way, for playing that game will only lead to disharmony within the body and dissatisfaction within ourselves. Speaking of the church, Paul wrote, “All of you together are Christ’s body” (v.27). God made us and has gifted us in ways to complement one another. Our role is to agree with Him, embrace the role(s) He has for us, and enjoy being a part of the “orchestra” that is the body of Christ. We’re all needed and must play the part God has given us—for His honor and for our good. —Russell Fralick
Read 1 Cor. 13 and consider why Paul wrote this chapter immediately after discussing the exercising of our gifts within the body of Christ.
How can you use your gift(s) to bless the other members of the body of Christ? How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more