Taking on Too MuchWhat are you trying to take on that only God can do
Top Music Videos
FRIDAY, MARCH 17
Play Your Part
All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it (v.27).
Maurice Andre was one of the best trumpet players the world has known. He once said that a good trumpet player had to be “like a matador in a bull ring.” He continued, “I see flutists and oboists go on the stage gingerly. If you do that with the trumpet you’re finished.” I believe he was saying that only a certain personality type possesses what it takes to succeed as a trumpet player. Trumpeters can’t hide; every note is heard by every listener! If you don’t have the God-given disposition to handle that, it can truly destroy you.
The apostle Paul described the various gifts given to the members of the church by the Holy Spirit. He stressed that all the gifts are a part of the body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:14-18) and all are interdependent (vv.15-17). He further emphasized that each gift was given to particular people, and not everyone exercised the same gift. We all have our special gift or gifts (vv.27-30). The problem that existed then—and still does today—is that some gifts seem to make for greater recognition than others, and in our humanness we tend to crave those gifts instead of simply playing our part.
But that’s not God’s way, for playing that game will only lead to disharmony within the body and dissatisfaction within ourselves. Speaking of the church, Paul wrote, “All of you together are Christ’s body” (v.27). God made us and has gifted us in ways to complement one another. Our role is to agree with Him, embrace the role(s) He has for us, and enjoy being a part of the “orchestra” that is the body of Christ. We’re all needed and must play the part God has given us—for His honor and for our good. —Russell Fralick
Read 1 Cor. 13 and consider why Paul wrote this chapter immediately after discussing the exercising of our gifts within the body of Christ.
How can you use your gift(s) to bless the other members of the body of Christ? How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more