The First Day—AgainHow does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?
Top Music Videos
TUESDAY, MARCH 21
[Jesus] was testing Philip, for he already knew what he was going to do (v.6).
In college, I had the, ahem, joy of taking a class about the history of the English language. The professor would ramble on and on about his life and all kinds of odd facts during his lectures. We listened intently, however, because his tests were famously difficult. He didn’t simply ask us to recall facts, he required us to think differently. The questions were designed to ensure that we could apply our knowledge in unique ways.
Jesus had something similar in mind when He tested Philip. Jesus asked him where they could buy enough bread to feed the thousands of hungry people who had followed them (John 6:5). Would Philip simply focus on the bare facts of the situation, or apply all that he knew about Jesus?
Unfortunately, Philip flunked the test.
He tallied up the money the disciples could earn and then compared it to the estimated grocery bill for the food that would nourish the crowd. His calculations led him to believe that the situation was hopeless (v.7).
Jesus knew that Philip would “fail” the test by overlooking His miracle-working power. He knew the disciple would miss an obvious hint: The crowd was there because they’d seen the miracles Jesus had performed (v.2). Still, the Lord supernaturally multiplied the food in a little boy’s lunch until it was enough to feed everyone present (v.12).
Could it be that some problems we face are designed to test our faith? God already knows the results we’ll achieve, but He wants us to grow in our faith by relying on what we know about Him—not simply focusing on our circumstances. God is able to “accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think” (Ephesians 3:20). That’s the right answer for any test! —Jennifer Benson Schuldt
Read Hebrews 11:17-19 and consider how Abraham relied on what He knew about God when he was tested.
What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing? How will this truth affect your actions?
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more
- God's Promises - How has God kept His promises to you?...read more