VictoryWhat battles are you facing these days?
Top Music Videos
Wednesday April 2
on solid ground
In the film High Fidelity, a character named Rob Gordon lamented his history of passivity. “I guess it made more sense to commit to nothing, keep my options open” he said. “And that’s suicide by tiny, tiny increments.”
It’s a prevalent human temptation to hold off on firmly attaching ourselves to any opinion or belief. It’s a good thing to pursue humility and to be always open to correction, but it’s a foolish and debilitating practice to neglect committing ourselves to truths that will guide us.
Elijah confronted Israel for their uncertain, vacillating posture. Israel’s King Ahab had led the people into idolatry and their abandonment of God along with their position as His people. As a result, God zipped up the rainclouds and dried out the land. There hadn’t been rain for 3 years, and Elijah decided it was time for a showdown. “Summon all Israel to join me at Mount Carmel,” Elijah told Ahab, “along with the 450 prophets of Baal and the 400 prophets of Asherah who are supported by Jezebel” (1 Kings 18:19).
When Baal’s prophets and the people of Israel were standing on Mount Carmel, Elijah confronted them with the question: “How much longer will you waver, hobbling between two opinions?” (v.21). The word for “opinions” carries the image of a set of crutches. So a literal reading of his question could be, “How long will you go limping around on crutches?” Whenever we refuse to commit ourselves to truths we believe, we go lame. We don’t stand for anything. We’re never solid.
Elijah concluded his challenge, not with an appeal for blind faith but rather for a commitment to the truth: “If the LORD is God, follow him! But if Baal is God, then follow him!” (v.21). —Winn Collier
Read all of 1 Kings 18. How did Elijah’s actions support his appeal for the people to make a decision? How did God respond?
How have you been vacillating between opinions? How has this practice kept you from a stronger relationship with God and others?
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more
- Last Dance - How can you focus on thoughts that are lovely and admirable today?...read more
- Free to Forgive - How has God’s forgiveness changed your heart?...read more
- Friendly Wounds - What does it mean to “speak the truth in love”?...read more