The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
Wednesday April 2
on solid ground
In the film High Fidelity, a character named Rob Gordon lamented his history of passivity. “I guess it made more sense to commit to nothing, keep my options open” he said. “And that’s suicide by tiny, tiny increments.”
It’s a prevalent human temptation to hold off on firmly attaching ourselves to any opinion or belief. It’s a good thing to pursue humility and to be always open to correction, but it’s a foolish and debilitating practice to neglect committing ourselves to truths that will guide us.
Elijah confronted Israel for their uncertain, vacillating posture. Israel’s King Ahab had led the people into idolatry and their abandonment of God along with their position as His people. As a result, God zipped up the rainclouds and dried out the land. There hadn’t been rain for 3 years, and Elijah decided it was time for a showdown. “Summon all Israel to join me at Mount Carmel,” Elijah told Ahab, “along with the 450 prophets of Baal and the 400 prophets of Asherah who are supported by Jezebel” (1 Kings 18:19).
When Baal’s prophets and the people of Israel were standing on Mount Carmel, Elijah confronted them with the question: “How much longer will you waver, hobbling between two opinions?” (v.21). The word for “opinions” carries the image of a set of crutches. So a literal reading of his question could be, “How long will you go limping around on crutches?” Whenever we refuse to commit ourselves to truths we believe, we go lame. We don’t stand for anything. We’re never solid.
Elijah concluded his challenge, not with an appeal for blind faith but rather for a commitment to the truth: “If the LORD is God, follow him! But if Baal is God, then follow him!” (v.21). —Winn Collier
Read all of 1 Kings 18. How did Elijah’s actions support his appeal for the people to make a decision? How did God respond?
How have you been vacillating between opinions? How has this practice kept you from a stronger relationship with God and others?
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more