Finding RefugeWhat does it mean for God to be your true refuge?
Top Christian Music Videos
I’ve been inspired by the book The Next Christians by Gabe Lyons. One of its most profound messages is that Christians who are serious about restoring the broken are not “offended” by their depraved lifestyles. Rather than condemn and pull away from people whose lives are messed up after years of drug abuse, sexual immorality, or greedy materialism, Lyons says we should meet people where they are. This includes reaching out and offering the hope of restoration found in Jesus.
Instead of running from the messiness that might typically offend some, we should run into the mess. For example, my daughter recently spent 2 months going into bars in Thailand declaring God’s love to the young women trapped in the sex-trade industry.
Christians who don’t get offended by the world take their cues from Jesus Himself. He wasn’t offended by everyday sinners, social outcasts, or outsiders. The woman caught in adultery didn’t offend Jesus (John 8:3-11). Neither did the leper who asked for healing (Matthew 8:1-4), the wealthy tax collector everyone hated (Luke 19:2-10 , nor the woman with an immoral reputation who washed Jesus’ feet with her tears (7:36-50).
Even a Roman centurion didn’t offend Jesus (Matthew 8:5-13). Centurions were the backbone of the Roman army. They provided the muscle that enforced Rome’s occupation of the Jews and would eventually carry out Jesus’ execution. But Jesus wasn’t put off when the officer asked Him to heal his servant. In fact, He publicly praised his faith (v.10).
Jesus, may our desire to see and engage people (faults and all) as You did be stronger than our urge to become offended and pull away. —Jeff Olson
God sent His Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through Him (v.17).
Read Romans 6:14 and note what it says about believers in Jesus and what they “live under.”
What sins of the world tend to offend you most? Where might God be calling you to be less offended and more engaged in ministry?
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more
- Grace that Motivates - How can we avoid the temptation to try and earn God’s approval by doing good deeds?...read more
- Two-Winged Sun - What Scriptures inspire you today?...read more