The Ultimate SourceGod’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways.
Top Christian Music Videos
Thursday November 14
no fish story
Why is God so big on judgment? Perhaps a better question is: Why is God so patient with us?
Nearly everyone knows the story of Jonah. He was swallowed by a big fish and was then spit out onto dry land. Many people also know that Jonah warned the Assyrian city of Nineveh about the judgment to come. Surprisingly, the people repented. But Jonah wanted them to pay for all the horrid things they had done, and so he got mad at God for relenting.
Jonah had a point! The Ninevites did do nasty things to fellow human beings. Yet God’s greater point was that He cares enough about evil people to want them to stop (Jonah 3:9–4:1).
After Jonah had passed from the scene, the Ninevites lapsed into their old ways. A century later, another prophet arose—one that almost no one talks about (no big fish in this story). His name was Nahum, and he brought word of the judgment that Jonah longed for.
Nahum, speaking of God in epic, earth-rattling tones, said that He would “[take] revenge on all who oppose Him” (Nahum 1:2). “He displays His power in the whirlwind and the storm” (v.3). Oceans will “dry up,” and “the mountains quake, and the hills melt away” (vv.4-5). God had drawn a bull’s-eye on Nineveh.
This looming judgment actually gave comfort to one group of people—Nineveh’s victims. Nahum added, “The Lord is good, a strong refuge when trouble comes. He is close to those who trust in Him. But He will sweep away His enemies in an overwhelming flood” (vv.7-8).
God is always ready to forgive, but He will never turn a blind eye to evil and injustice. He will bring judgment in His own good time. He couldn’t be a good God and do otherwise. —Tim Gustafson
The Lord is slow to get angry, but His power is great; and He never lets the guilty go unpunished (v.3).
Read Hebrews 12:5-11 and consider the difference between God’s discipline and God’s judgment.
Which characteristic are you more inclined to believe about God: His judgment or His patience? Why is it vital for us that He possesses both?
- The Ultimate Source - God’s goodness and faithfulness can lead us to respond in varying ways....read more
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more