Always LovedEven before he made the world, God loved us and chose us.
Top Christian Music Videos
more than boy meets girl
At our high school reunion, friends were excitedly reminiscing about their past adventures and misadventures while I simply listened. I couldn’t join the conversations because most of my unscheduled school hours had been spent in the school library poring over one of Jane Austen’s novels! So it’s not hard to imagine that one of my favorite Old Testament books is Ruth.
Ruth was a damsel in distress, but she was no weakling. Even though she was a childless widow and her mother-in-law complained, Ruth refused to indulge in self-pity. Instead, she chose to give her loyalty to her mother-in-law and to her God (1:16-17).
As a Moabite woman—a foreigner—did Ruth feel the unfriendly stares as she worked in the barley field? Did she feel out of place in this new land? Whatever she felt, it didn’t deter her from doing all she could to take care of her mother-in-law. This is remarkable, for many women and men who love their spouses can’t stand their mother-in- law (evidenced by the mother-in-law jokes that just keep circulating).
Then the knight in shining armor arrived on the scene. Boaz might not have had the looks, but he certainly had the character—a dependable kind of guy, manly yet sensitive. Listen to what he said to Ruth: “I have warned the young men not to treat you roughly. And when you are thirsty, help yourself to the water they have drawn from the well” (2:9).
Boaz is a picture of Christ as the Provider and Protector for His bride—for us. And Ruth is an example of one who places herself under the protection and care of a gracious, sovereign God. May this beautiful love story encourage us to trust in our Redeemer God as we faithfully serve Him. —Poh Fang Chia
That man is one of our closest relatives, one of our family redeemers (v.20).
Read Ephesians 1:4-14 to recapture the wonder of God’s love for you. Make a list of what He’s given you.
How does Ruth’s story challenge you to move toward a deeper faith in God? How will you faithfully serve Jesus, your Provider and Protector, today?
- Always Loved - Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us....read more
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more