Raise the Temperature
Top Music Videos
more than boy meets girl
At our high school reunion, friends were excitedly reminiscing about their past adventures and misadventures while I simply listened. I couldn’t join the conversations because most of my unscheduled school hours had been spent in the school library poring over one of Jane Austen’s novels! So it’s not hard to imagine that one of my favorite Old Testament books is Ruth.
Ruth was a damsel in distress, but she was no weakling. Even though she was a childless widow and her mother-in-law complained, Ruth refused to indulge in self-pity. Instead, she chose to give her loyalty to her mother-in-law and to her God (1:16-17).
As a Moabite woman—a foreigner—did Ruth feel the unfriendly stares as she worked in the barley field? Did she feel out of place in this new land? Whatever she felt, it didn’t deter her from doing all she could to take care of her mother-in-law. This is remarkable, for many women and men who love their spouses can’t stand their mother-in- law (evidenced by the mother-in-law jokes that just keep circulating).
Then the knight in shining armor arrived on the scene. Boaz might not have had the looks, but he certainly had the character—a dependable kind of guy, manly yet sensitive. Listen to what he said to Ruth: “I have warned the young men not to treat you roughly. And when you are thirsty, help yourself to the water they have drawn from the well” (2:9).
Boaz is a picture of Christ as the Provider and Protector for His bride—for us. And Ruth is an example of one who places herself under the protection and care of a gracious, sovereign God. May this beautiful love story encourage us to trust in our Redeemer God as we faithfully serve Him. —Poh Fang Chia
That man is one of our closest relatives, one of our family redeemers (v.20).
Read Ephesians 1:4-14 to recapture the wonder of God’s love for you. Make a list of what He’s given you.
How does Ruth’s story challenge you to move toward a deeper faith in God? How will you faithfully serve Jesus, your Provider and Protector, today?
- Raise the Temperature - ...read more
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more