Staying TrueOur ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze.
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday September 2
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life,” declared Samuel Johnson, “for there is in London all that life can afford.” Dr. Johnson lived in the 18th century in—surprise!— England, so his view of London may have been a touch biased. But at the time, London was the apex of all this world had to offer. No other city had more diversions and distractions, and Britain’s industry, trade, and global reach seemed limitless.
We can’t truly know how satisfied Samuel Johnson was with all that he found in London. But in the words of the apostle Paul we can see the contrast between a life focused only on this world and one fixed on heaven. He seemingly had “lost” the world. Stuck in prison, Paul couldn’t enjoy the things we would typically call “the good life.” Death was a distinct possibility.
“To me,” he said, “living means living for Christ, and dying is even better” (Philippians 1:21). How could that be? Paul loved Jesus so much that he could hardly wait to be with Him. His words ring with excitement and passion. “But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ” (v.22). “I’m torn between two desires” (v.23). Paul went on to state that his motivation for staying on earth was to serve Jesus and put the needs of others before his own (v.24).
It’s easy for us to cling tenaciously to wrong priorities. We can become so preoccupied with the “good” things this life has to offer that we miss the “far better” riches found in Christ. But Jesus says to us, “What do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?” (Mark 8:36). —Tim Gustafson
I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die (v.20).
What does James 4:13-17 reveal about our plans for life?
What makes you feel most alive? How can your deepest desires only be fulfilled in Jesus?
- Staying True - Our ability to stand in the midst of trials will depend on the focus of our gaze....read more
- Write Your Epitaph - How are you growing in your faith and the proclaiming of it?...read more
- What Happens in the End - Are you feeling hopeless and weary? Be reminded of what happens in the end!...read more
- Stop Painting Your Bucket - Who you are is who you are in Jesus....read more
- What We Have - When do you feel most grateful?...read more
- God's Perspective - What has God called you to do that might appear to be too challenging?...read more
- More than Walking on Water - Do you ever find yourself focusing more on what God can do than on who He is?...read more
- The Spirit’s Wind - In what areas of your life have you been laboring in your own strength instead of God’s power?...read more
- Laying Down Your Life - What does it mean for you to embrace Jesus as the One who laid down His life for you?...read more
- Hidden Costs - What are some ways you can avoid falling prey to Satan’s hidden costs this week?...read more
- Limits - How often are you weary or stressed from church work?...read more
- Healing Prayer - Why is it important for us to bring our pain and suffering to God?...read more
- Pleasing God in the Mundane - Do you sometimes feel drained by serving God and others?...read more
- Avoiding Mean Streets - In what ways have you been entering deeper into God’s wisdom or moving farther away from it?...read more
- The Presence of Jesus - What past or current sinful choice has caused you to experience shame?...read more
- When We See Jesus - Do you long to see Jesus?...read more