Sacrificial LoveWhat does it mean for you to carry your cross?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday September 2
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life,” declared Samuel Johnson, “for there is in London all that life can afford.” Dr. Johnson lived in the 18th century in—surprise!— England, so his view of London may have been a touch biased. But at the time, London was the apex of all this world had to offer. No other city had more diversions and distractions, and Britain’s industry, trade, and global reach seemed limitless.
We can’t truly know how satisfied Samuel Johnson was with all that he found in London. But in the words of the apostle Paul we can see the contrast between a life focused only on this world and one fixed on heaven. He seemingly had “lost” the world. Stuck in prison, Paul couldn’t enjoy the things we would typically call “the good life.” Death was a distinct possibility.
“To me,” he said, “living means living for Christ, and dying is even better” (Philippians 1:21). How could that be? Paul loved Jesus so much that he could hardly wait to be with Him. His words ring with excitement and passion. “But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ” (v.22). “I’m torn between two desires” (v.23). Paul went on to state that his motivation for staying on earth was to serve Jesus and put the needs of others before his own (v.24).
It’s easy for us to cling tenaciously to wrong priorities. We can become so preoccupied with the “good” things this life has to offer that we miss the “far better” riches found in Christ. But Jesus says to us, “What do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?” (Mark 8:36). —Tim Gustafson
I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die (v.20).
What does James 4:13-17 reveal about our plans for life?
What makes you feel most alive? How can your deepest desires only be fulfilled in Jesus?
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more