Myth No MoreWhy must God judge His enemies and make things right?
Top Music Videos
Monday September 2
When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life,” declared Samuel Johnson, “for there is in London all that life can afford.” Dr. Johnson lived in the 18th century in—surprise!— England, so his view of London may have been a touch biased. But at the time, London was the apex of all this world had to offer. No other city had more diversions and distractions, and Britain’s industry, trade, and global reach seemed limitless.
We can’t truly know how satisfied Samuel Johnson was with all that he found in London. But in the words of the apostle Paul we can see the contrast between a life focused only on this world and one fixed on heaven. He seemingly had “lost” the world. Stuck in prison, Paul couldn’t enjoy the things we would typically call “the good life.” Death was a distinct possibility.
“To me,” he said, “living means living for Christ, and dying is even better” (Philippians 1:21). How could that be? Paul loved Jesus so much that he could hardly wait to be with Him. His words ring with excitement and passion. “But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ” (v.22). “I’m torn between two desires” (v.23). Paul went on to state that his motivation for staying on earth was to serve Jesus and put the needs of others before his own (v.24).
It’s easy for us to cling tenaciously to wrong priorities. We can become so preoccupied with the “good” things this life has to offer that we miss the “far better” riches found in Christ. But Jesus says to us, “What do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul?” (Mark 8:36). —Tim Gustafson
I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die (v.20).
What does James 4:13-17 reveal about our plans for life?
What makes you feel most alive? How can your deepest desires only be fulfilled in Jesus?
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more
- Gift of Tears - What triggers your emotions?...read more
- Faith in the Fields - Jesus urged His disciples to tell people about Him for “the Kingdom of Heaven is near.”...read more
- Pizza and God's Presence - When do you feel most vulnerable?...read more
- Peace and Contentment - What changes could you make to better “seek the Kingdom of God above all else”?...read more