Connecting the DotsWhat good work is God doing in your life?
Top Music Videos
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 11
Light the Path
Those who lead many to righteousness will shine like the stars forever (v.3). The next time you’re gazing into the night sky, consider that the closest star beyond the sun is more than forty trillion kilometers away. To reach that star you’d need to travel at the speed of light for more than four years! Incredibly, we can still see its light from earth.
Scientific data like this wasn’t available when Daniel penned his book some 2,600 years ago. Our modern-day knowledge, however, heightens the power of his simile in Daniel 12:3: “Those who are wise will shine as bright as the sky, and those who lead many to righteousness will shine like the stars forever.” An expanded way of stating this is: Those who lead many to righteousness will be like bodies in the heavens that shine their light across countless distances, illuminating worlds and providing beacons in the darkness. What a powerful image!
Daniel brought God’s message to His people exiled in Babylon, a culture where worshiping God alone could be a life-threatening proposition (Daniel 6:13-17). The prophet described the mysterious future of the world and encouraged them to see beyond their present troubles while focusing on the lives of others. Two millennia later, I struggle with doing the same things.
It’s encouraging to remember that we’re made right with God—led to righteousness, as Daniel would say—through faith in Jesus (Romans 3:21-22). His sacrifice and resurrection give us hope for the future the prophet described. By believing in Jesus and reflecting Him we become “the light of the world” (Matthew 5:14; Philippians 2:15). Our task today is to illumine the path so others can clearly see Jesus. Instead of being flickering stars, may we radiate the God of light who lives within us by His power (1 John 1:5). —Andy Rogers
Read Daniel 1 and notice God’s work within his situation (vv.2,9,17). Even in an oppressive culture, God was in control.
How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus? How can you be a similar light to others today?
- Connecting the Dots - What good work is God doing in your life?...read more
- Responding to Suffering - How do you feel when your life is interrupted by suffering and adversity?...read more
- Laying Our Lives Down - How has Jesus’ example inspired you to freely give of yourself?...read more
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more