Autograph of the OrdinaryDo you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?
Top Christian Music Videos
The book of Genesis is structured around the phrase, “This is the account of.” Its main divisions begin with, “This is the account of the creation of the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 2:4), “of the descendants of Adam” (5:1), “of Noah and his family” (6:9), “of Terah’s family” (11:27), “of the family of Isaac” (25:19), and “of Jacob and his family” (37:2). These sections focus on the children that each person produced. The account of Terah is the story of Abraham; the account of Jacob is the story of Joseph.
Our true legacy will not be found in jobs completed or titles earned, but in the lives of our children. If they faithfully obey as Abraham did, then we will know the joy of Terah. If they scheme and fight like Jacob and Esau, then we will endure the mixed legacy of Isaac.
The apostle Paul may not have been married, but he cared for his new believers “as a father treats his own children.” He wrote, “We pleaded with you, encouraged you, and urged you to live your lives in a way that God would consider worthy” (1 Thessalonians 2:11-12). Paul worried that his spiritual children might stumble under persecution. So, “when we could stand it no longer . . . we sent Timothy to visit you” (3:1-2). Paul rejoiced when Timothy returned with “good news about [their] faith and love.” He said, “It gives us new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord” (1 Thessalonians 3:6,8).
Ultimately, our legacy lies beyond our control. We can’t guarantee that our physical and spiritual children will turn out well, but we can determine the legacy of our own mothers and fathers. Whose “account of” includes you? What does your life say about them? —Mike Wittmer
This is the account of the family of Isaac, the son of Abraham (v.19).
Does your physical and spiritual family know that you love them? How can you help them grow in faith and spiritual maturity?
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more
- Nursing a Grudge - Why is it vital for you to bring your bitter feelings to God?...read more
- A New Person - What regret do you need to give to Jesus?...read more