Next StepsHave you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?
Top Christian Music Videos
The book of Genesis is structured around the phrase, “This is the account of.” Its main divisions begin with, “This is the account of the creation of the heavens and the earth” (Genesis 2:4), “of the descendants of Adam” (5:1), “of Noah and his family” (6:9), “of Terah’s family” (11:27), “of the family of Isaac” (25:19), and “of Jacob and his family” (37:2). These sections focus on the children that each person produced. The account of Terah is the story of Abraham; the account of Jacob is the story of Joseph.
Our true legacy will not be found in jobs completed or titles earned, but in the lives of our children. If they faithfully obey as Abraham did, then we will know the joy of Terah. If they scheme and fight like Jacob and Esau, then we will endure the mixed legacy of Isaac.
The apostle Paul may not have been married, but he cared for his new believers “as a father treats his own children.” He wrote, “We pleaded with you, encouraged you, and urged you to live your lives in a way that God would consider worthy” (1 Thessalonians 2:11-12). Paul worried that his spiritual children might stumble under persecution. So, “when we could stand it no longer . . . we sent Timothy to visit you” (3:1-2). Paul rejoiced when Timothy returned with “good news about [their] faith and love.” He said, “It gives us new life to know that you are standing firm in the Lord” (1 Thessalonians 3:6,8).
Ultimately, our legacy lies beyond our control. We can’t guarantee that our physical and spiritual children will turn out well, but we can determine the legacy of our own mothers and fathers. Whose “account of” includes you? What does your life say about them? —Mike Wittmer
This is the account of the family of Isaac, the son of Abraham (v.19).
Does your physical and spiritual family know that you love them? How can you help them grow in faith and spiritual maturity?
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more
- Enduring Hope - Have you lost hope and become disillusioned with life?...read more
- Grasping Grace - What does God’s grace mean to you?...read more
- Clear View - How can you seek God’s wisdom and direction today?...read more
- Led by the Spirit - How do you distinguish between the leading of the Spirit and the whims and desires of your own heart?...read more
- No Longer Lost - Where have you seen God’s love and mercy in your life?...read more