Top Christian Music Videos
Thursday September 12
know your enemy
A recent pop song contains these lyrics: “Do you know the enemy? Do you know your enemy? Well, gotta know the enemy.”
David knew someone who counted him as an enemy— Saul. The troubled king of Israel hated David, and that spelled big trouble for the future king. David nervously thought, “Someday Saul is going to get me” (1 Samuel 27:1).
But David didn’t hate Saul. In fact, he called him “the Lord’s anointed one” (26:9). And though he had the chance to take Saul’s life, he refused to do it (vv.7-9). So when a young man said he had ended Saul’s life (a lie intended to gain favor), David wasn’t pleased (2 Samuel 1:14-16). A wounded Saul had died, but it was by his own hand and sword (1 Samuel 31:4).
Saul and his son Jonathan, David’s best friend, had perished in a battle with the dreaded Philistines. Filled with grief, David poured out his soul in a “funeral song” (2 Samuel 1:17). It includes these lyrics: “Your pride and joy, O Israel, lies dead on the hills!” (v.19). This sure doesn’t sound like someone who knew his enemy! “How beloved and gracious were Saul and Jonathan!” (v.23).
What? Jonathan, I get, but Saul...
David went on to state how much he loved Jonathan (vv.25-26). But the fact remains that he also celebrated Saul’s life. Why? Because of his reverence and love for God. He recognized that Saul had been God’s anointed one. This provided all he needed to know.
Jesus said, “Love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!” (Matthew 5:44). Our human adversaries have been deeply affected by our true enemies— sin and Satan. Knowing that helps us to see them as Jesus does.
Yes, know your enemies, but also know that God wants you to love them. —Tom Felten
2 Samuel 1:17-27 If you are really serious about wanting to return to the Lord, get rid of your...gods (1 Samuel 7:3).
Read Luke 6:27-36 and note some of the examples Jesus gives for loving your enemies.
What happens inside of you when you choose to love your enemies? Why is it important to remember who your true enemies are?
- Love in Action - How can you show Christ’s love to someone in need with both your words and your actions?...read more
- Generous Hearts - Have you ever been the recipient of someone else’s generosity?...read more
- Persecuted but Growing - Have you ever seen God use something negative or discouraging to accomplish something amazing?...read more
- Autumn Moments - What season of life are you in right now?...read more
- Where Love Flourishes - How does the love of a man and woman united in Christ reflect the love God has for us?...read more
- You're Needed - How are you serving the body of Christ?...read more
- Not Coming Back - How does Jesus’ sacrificial example inspire you today?...read more
- Everything Matters - In God’s vision for the world, everything matters....read more
- Valid! - Our value comes from God in whose image we all have been created....read more
- Cupcake Face - Do you have a sin in your life you’ve been trying to hide from God?...read more
- Four Views - Have you ever wished that the Bible was written differently or in a way that was easier for you to understand?...read more
- Perfect Peace - Are you living out God’s “perfect peace”?...read more
- Cherished Possessions - Do you share the same love, empathy, and care for sinners?...read more
- Is This Heaven? - What do you think about heaven and earth?...read more
- Another View - How can the suffering of another person be used by God to help others grow in Him?...read more
- Good Company - How do you choose the company that you keep?...read more