Always ThereDo you believe that the Lord is always with you?
Top Music Videos
Monday November 11
My friend’s baby suffered brain damage during delivery. The doctors aren’t too optimistic. They think that even if the child survives, she won’t lead a normal life.
Ever since I received this news, my mind has been searching for the words to pray. But I don’t know how to pray or what to pray right now. All I know is the One to whom I should pray—God. He’s the Sovereign One, and He says that He hears me when I call (Luke 11:9-10).
I’m reminded that God is capable of miracles. He raised Jairus’ daughter back to life! Everyone was absolutely sure that the girl was beyond cure. But “Jesus took her by the hand and said in a loud voice, ‘My child, get up!’ And at that moment her life returned, and she immediately stood up!” (8:49-55). Jesus didn’t just chase away death; He also healed the girl of whatever disease had robbed her of life.
But what if God doesn’t heal? Surely it’s not that He lacks the power. Could it be that He’s not all-loving? Perhaps that He doesn’t care? Can’t be! For as I look at the cross, I’m confident that God is love (1 John 4:9-10). So that leaves us with one last possibility—He doesn’t know what’s best. But Job was challenged to look at creation to know that this is not true (Job 38–39). God is good, and He does know what’s best.
So I’ll simply lean on His power, love, and wisdom as I pray. I may not know what’s the best thing to pray, but the Psalms reveal that I can approach God in absolute honesty. That’s what I’ll bring. And I’ll remember what Oswald Chambers wrote, “I do believe that by intercessory prayer, as Jesus Himself has told us, the great power of God works in ways that we cannot conceive.” —Poh Fang Chia
So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most (Hebrews 4:16).
Read Psalm 4 to see how the psalmist expressed his confidence in God and His fatherly care even during trying times.
What attributes of God do you need to remember as you pray for help and healing? How does His sovereignty give you perspective as you pray?
- Always There - Do you believe that the Lord is always with you?...read more
- Seasons of Grief - Are you going through a season of grief where you are struggling to grieve?...read more
- John's Question - What steps can you take to seek God’s perspective in a current challenging situation?...read more
- Victory - What battles are you facing these days?...read more
- Starting Over - Have you experienced a fresh start in Jesus?...read more
- Genuine Love - How have you experienced the reality of God’s love?...read more
- Straight Up - Is there a current situation in your life where you’ve been less than honest?...read more
- He Saw Something - Have you seen something so true that you would be willing to live or die for it?...read more
- Higher Law, Higher Love - What choice of conscience faces you today?...read more
- Stay or Run Away - How might God want you to display His glory in your life?...read more
- Jealousy and Generosity - To help His followers understand what the kingdom of heaven is like and the dangers of comparison obsession, Jesus told a parable about a landowner who hired workers to tend his vineyard....read more
- On the Fringe - Who sits alone at church that you can befriend?...read more
- Taming Anger - Think back to a time when you lashed out in anger, or when someone lashed out at you....read more
- Full of Joy - How can you tap into God’s joy more fully?...read more
- Mistaken vs. Hard Hearts - How have you experienced a hard heart toward God in your relationship with Him?...read more
- The Narrow Door - How can salvation be a free gift simply received and yet still require our response?...read more