The Gentle WayWhat does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday November 11
My friend’s baby suffered brain damage during delivery. The doctors aren’t too optimistic. They think that even if the child survives, she won’t lead a normal life.
Ever since I received this news, my mind has been searching for the words to pray. But I don’t know how to pray or what to pray right now. All I know is the One to whom I should pray—God. He’s the Sovereign One, and He says that He hears me when I call (Luke 11:9-10).
I’m reminded that God is capable of miracles. He raised Jairus’ daughter back to life! Everyone was absolutely sure that the girl was beyond cure. But “Jesus took her by the hand and said in a loud voice, ‘My child, get up!’ And at that moment her life returned, and she immediately stood up!” (8:49-55). Jesus didn’t just chase away death; He also healed the girl of whatever disease had robbed her of life.
But what if God doesn’t heal? Surely it’s not that He lacks the power. Could it be that He’s not all-loving? Perhaps that He doesn’t care? Can’t be! For as I look at the cross, I’m confident that God is love (1 John 4:9-10). So that leaves us with one last possibility—He doesn’t know what’s best. But Job was challenged to look at creation to know that this is not true (Job 38–39). God is good, and He does know what’s best.
So I’ll simply lean on His power, love, and wisdom as I pray. I may not know what’s the best thing to pray, but the Psalms reveal that I can approach God in absolute honesty. That’s what I’ll bring. And I’ll remember what Oswald Chambers wrote, “I do believe that by intercessory prayer, as Jesus Himself has told us, the great power of God works in ways that we cannot conceive.” —Poh Fang Chia
So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most (Hebrews 4:16).
Read Psalm 4 to see how the psalmist expressed his confidence in God and His fatherly care even during trying times.
What attributes of God do you need to remember as you pray for help and healing? How does His sovereignty give you perspective as you pray?
- The Gentle Way - What does it look like for you to live out Jesus’ gentleness before others?...read more
- Fireworks and Mercy - How does it make you feel to know that God understands your human frailty and has mercy on you?...read more
- Happy at You - Do you know deep down that God loves you dearly?...read more
- The Shepherd's Voice - Have you ever had an experience where you believe God spoke to you?...read more
- Fearless - How can you learn to trust God more deeply and follow Him more courageously?...read more
- Next Steps - Have you ever made a choice or taken an unwise risk that caused you pain?...read more
- Cleansing and Calling - What does it mean to follow God’s calling in your life?...read more
- Finding Refuge - What does it mean for God to be your true refuge?...read more
- Why Pray? - What do you need to ask God for today?...read more
- Love and Adoption - What does it mean to you to be adopted by your heavenly Father?...read more
- Worship and Service - Why is it so vital for you to worship God with all you are?...read more
- Holy Desperation - Do you have a personal relationship with Jesus?...read more
- Insisting on Joy - What would it look like for you to insist on joy this week?...read more
- Hot Water - Where in your spiritual life have you become complacent?...read more
- Remade - Do any areas of your life need to be remade?...read more
- God’s Renewing Presence - What can you do to experience God’s renewing presence today?...read more