God's MasterpieceWhat does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?
Top Christian Music Videos
Monday November 11
My friend’s baby suffered brain damage during delivery. The doctors aren’t too optimistic. They think that even if the child survives, she won’t lead a normal life.
Ever since I received this news, my mind has been searching for the words to pray. But I don’t know how to pray or what to pray right now. All I know is the One to whom I should pray—God. He’s the Sovereign One, and He says that He hears me when I call (Luke 11:9-10).
I’m reminded that God is capable of miracles. He raised Jairus’ daughter back to life! Everyone was absolutely sure that the girl was beyond cure. But “Jesus took her by the hand and said in a loud voice, ‘My child, get up!’ And at that moment her life returned, and she immediately stood up!” (8:49-55). Jesus didn’t just chase away death; He also healed the girl of whatever disease had robbed her of life.
But what if God doesn’t heal? Surely it’s not that He lacks the power. Could it be that He’s not all-loving? Perhaps that He doesn’t care? Can’t be! For as I look at the cross, I’m confident that God is love (1 John 4:9-10). So that leaves us with one last possibility—He doesn’t know what’s best. But Job was challenged to look at creation to know that this is not true (Job 38–39). God is good, and He does know what’s best.
So I’ll simply lean on His power, love, and wisdom as I pray. I may not know what’s the best thing to pray, but the Psalms reveal that I can approach God in absolute honesty. That’s what I’ll bring. And I’ll remember what Oswald Chambers wrote, “I do believe that by intercessory prayer, as Jesus Himself has told us, the great power of God works in ways that we cannot conceive.” —Poh Fang Chia
So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most (Hebrews 4:16).
Read Psalm 4 to see how the psalmist expressed his confidence in God and His fatherly care even during trying times.
What attributes of God do you need to remember as you pray for help and healing? How does His sovereignty give you perspective as you pray?
- God's Masterpiece - What does it mean for God’s people to be a masterpiece?...read more
- Prayerful Retreat - How often do you have a “prayerful retreat” with God?...read more
- Laying Down Our Lives - What sometimes holds you back from laying down your life for others?...read more
- A Little Farther - Do you hear much about lament in your local church?...read more
- Distraction - What’s your biggest distraction as you strive to follow Jesus?...read more
- Intentional Defiance - Be encouraged by a God who is with you to discipline and lead you away from wrong turns....read more
- The Family Name - How do you show appreciation for the reconciliation God has offered?...read more
- Unwavering Love - What does it mean for you to rest in God’s unwavering love?...read more
- Far Better - What are you most looking forward to when God calls you home?...read more
- A Good Name - When you consider your reputation, what might you change to better reflect Jesus to others?...read more
- Light the Path - How have others illumined the path for you to Jesus?...read more
- More Than Feelings - God created us to live in the fullness of His image—emotions included....read more
- Of Penguins and People - Who needs your committed, enduring love today?...read more
- Big and Small - What do you do with your worries?...read more
- A Way Out - Do you have a tendency to overestimate or underestimate?...read more
- Extravagant Love - When have you encountered God’s extravagant love?...read more