"Brutiful"How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?
Top Music Videos
Monday November 11
My friend’s baby suffered brain damage during delivery. The doctors aren’t too optimistic. They think that even if the child survives, she won’t lead a normal life.
Ever since I received this news, my mind has been searching for the words to pray. But I don’t know how to pray or what to pray right now. All I know is the One to whom I should pray—God. He’s the Sovereign One, and He says that He hears me when I call (Luke 11:9-10).
I’m reminded that God is capable of miracles. He raised Jairus’ daughter back to life! Everyone was absolutely sure that the girl was beyond cure. But “Jesus took her by the hand and said in a loud voice, ‘My child, get up!’ And at that moment her life returned, and she immediately stood up!” (8:49-55). Jesus didn’t just chase away death; He also healed the girl of whatever disease had robbed her of life.
But what if God doesn’t heal? Surely it’s not that He lacks the power. Could it be that He’s not all-loving? Perhaps that He doesn’t care? Can’t be! For as I look at the cross, I’m confident that God is love (1 John 4:9-10). So that leaves us with one last possibility—He doesn’t know what’s best. But Job was challenged to look at creation to know that this is not true (Job 38–39). God is good, and He does know what’s best.
So I’ll simply lean on His power, love, and wisdom as I pray. I may not know what’s the best thing to pray, but the Psalms reveal that I can approach God in absolute honesty. That’s what I’ll bring. And I’ll remember what Oswald Chambers wrote, “I do believe that by intercessory prayer, as Jesus Himself has told us, the great power of God works in ways that we cannot conceive.” —Poh Fang Chia
So let us come boldly to the throne of our gracious God. There we will receive His mercy, and we will find grace to help us when we need it most (Hebrews 4:16).
Read Psalm 4 to see how the psalmist expressed his confidence in God and His fatherly care even during trying times.
What attributes of God do you need to remember as you pray for help and healing? How does His sovereignty give you perspective as you pray?
- "Brutiful" - How has God worked in “brutiful” ways in your life?...read more
- The First Day—Again - How does Jesus’ resurrection infuse you with fresh hope?...read more
- Clueless at the Light - What would others say about my influence on them?...read more
- Stinging Words - How have you experienced emotional or spiritual captivity?...read more
- Everyone Has a Story - Who needs you to listen to them? Make time for them today....read more
- Gateway of Hope - How has the rough stuff of your life kept you from hoping in God?...read more
- Philip Flunked - What specific truth about God could help you with a problem you’re currently facing?...read more
- Source of All Life - Every blessing comes from God....read more
- Trapped in Sin - How can you be set free and made right with God?...read more
- Hope Beyond Discouragement - How will you point others to the Source of Hope today?...read more
- Play Your Part - How can you encourage others to fulfill their calling?...read more
- Broken Community - How do we live out holiness without becoming judgmental of others?...read more
- Giving Out Love - How has God provided for you and those you love?...read more
- Assets that Matter - How can you submit more fully to the Holy Spirit’s refining work in your life?...read more
- The Skeptic - What doubt about God is most persistent in your thoughts?...read more
- Is God Necessary? - God is hidden but present, revealing Himself more fully to those who invite Him to stay....read more