Testing for TruthIs the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?
Top Music Videos
Saturday November 9
investing for eternity
Jesus said that those who would be His disciples must do three things: “Turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow Me” (Matthew 16:24). Then He raised the bar even higher: “You must hate everyone else by comparison—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be My disciple” (Luke 14:26). Considering the hard realities of these requirements, why would anyone want to follow Him?
Thankfully, Jesus gave us the motivation for making such a radical commitment. Putting it in the first person: I turn from my selfish ways, take up my cross, and follow Christ because I am investing for eternity (Matthew 16:24-28).
It’s easy to become preoccupied with life on earth. What can Jesus do for me in the here and now? Can He help me get that promotion? Will Jesus heal me of my cancer?
Jesus spoke of two paradoxes: The person living only for himself will lose his life in the end, and losing the pleasure of sin is nothing compared with losing one’s soul eternally (vv.25-26). At His return, He’ll judge “all people according to their deeds” (v.27). Jesus is asking us not to live for this life, but for the next. He invites us to invest in Him.
The apostle Paul also offers us the same investment opportunity: “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life” (Colossians 3:1-3).
To live wisely in the here and now, we must keep our focus on eternity. Only a life invested for Him will pay eternal dividends (Matthew 6:19-21). —K.T. Sim
Set your sights on the realities of heaven...Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life (Colossians 3:1-3).
Read more of what Jesus said about investing in heaven in Matthew 6:22-33.
What stuff of life is keeping you from following Jesus wholeheartedly? How will you invest for eternity today?
- Testing for Truth - Is the Bible the highest source of authority in your life?...read more
- Subscribe to God’s Help - What temptations are you battling?...read more
- Taking on Too Much - What are you trying to take on that only God can do...read more
- Representing Jesus - In what practical ways can you effectively represent Christ?...read more
- Myth No More - Why must God judge His enemies and make things right?...read more
- Hidden Sins - How have you been trying to deal with your sin?...read more
- The Kingdom We Long For - What makes you most desperate for the fullness of God’s kingdom to arrive?...read more
- Offering Refuge and Hope - How can you practically and prayerfully support refugees?...read more
- Songs Before Dawn - How will you use your voice to let the good news ring out today?...read more
- Uber Conversations - How do the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit model a loving relationship?...read more
- Prayer on an Airplane - How can you prepare to share the hope you have in Jesus?...read more
- Adding Interest? - Is there something you’re holding back from God?...read more
- Lord of the Cosmos - What does Jesus being “Lord of the cosmos” mean for your future?...read more
- Farming Hope - What trial are you facing today?...read more
- Because of Sunday - How can you learn to imitate Jesus and His mindset as you face conflict?...read more
- Our Real and Present God - When have you grappled with questions about God’s nearness and presence?...read more