Top Music Videos
Saturday November 9
investing for eternity
Jesus said that those who would be His disciples must do three things: “Turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow Me” (Matthew 16:24). Then He raised the bar even higher: “You must hate everyone else by comparison—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be My disciple” (Luke 14:26). Considering the hard realities of these requirements, why would anyone want to follow Him?
Thankfully, Jesus gave us the motivation for making such a radical commitment. Putting it in the first person: I turn from my selfish ways, take up my cross, and follow Christ because I am investing for eternity (Matthew 16:24-28).
It’s easy to become preoccupied with life on earth. What can Jesus do for me in the here and now? Can He help me get that promotion? Will Jesus heal me of my cancer?
Jesus spoke of two paradoxes: The person living only for himself will lose his life in the end, and losing the pleasure of sin is nothing compared with losing one’s soul eternally (vv.25-26). At His return, He’ll judge “all people according to their deeds” (v.27). Jesus is asking us not to live for this life, but for the next. He invites us to invest in Him.
The apostle Paul also offers us the same investment opportunity: “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life” (Colossians 3:1-3).
To live wisely in the here and now, we must keep our focus on eternity. Only a life invested for Him will pay eternal dividends (Matthew 6:19-21). —K.T. Sim
Set your sights on the realities of heaven...Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life (Colossians 3:1-3).
Read more of what Jesus said about investing in heaven in Matthew 6:22-33.
What stuff of life is keeping you from following Jesus wholeheartedly? How will you invest for eternity today?
- Red Houses - What has God given you—time, finances, ability—that you can use to help someone in need today?...read more
- Tongues Afire - When have you recently endured the wound of another person’s words?...read more
- True Fellowship - What comes to your mind when you hear the word fellowship?...read more
- After 35 - What does it mean for you to rely on God in all things?...read more
- The Failure Wall - In what ways do you need to be prepared for encounters with spiritual enemies?...read more
- Worship 101 - What can you praise God for today?...read more
- Distance - What expectations do you have of fellow church members when it comes to meeting your needs?...read more
- Sarcasm and Sincerity - Do your words provide a safe environment for others?...read more
- Empty Spaces - What’s taking up space in your heart?...read more
- Showing the Way - How prepared are you to share your faith with others?...read more
- New Address? - Where’s the line between worrying and simply pondering a decision?...read more
- Real Stewardship - How are you using your gifts and talents to bring God to others?...read more
- Korah’s Redemption - How has God revealed His redeeming ways to you?...read more
- Stuff We Need - How can you give lavishly to God and others today?...read more
- Rising Above - What difficulties have caused you to experience distress recently?...read more
- God Our Restorer - Are you in need of God’s restorative power today?...read more