Run with It!Jesus is the author of life.
Top Christian Music Videos
Saturday November 9
investing for eternity
Jesus said that those who would be His disciples must do three things: “Turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow Me” (Matthew 16:24). Then He raised the bar even higher: “You must hate everyone else by comparison—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be My disciple” (Luke 14:26). Considering the hard realities of these requirements, why would anyone want to follow Him?
Thankfully, Jesus gave us the motivation for making such a radical commitment. Putting it in the first person: I turn from my selfish ways, take up my cross, and follow Christ because I am investing for eternity (Matthew 16:24-28).
It’s easy to become preoccupied with life on earth. What can Jesus do for me in the here and now? Can He help me get that promotion? Will Jesus heal me of my cancer?
Jesus spoke of two paradoxes: The person living only for himself will lose his life in the end, and losing the pleasure of sin is nothing compared with losing one’s soul eternally (vv.25-26). At His return, He’ll judge “all people according to their deeds” (v.27). Jesus is asking us not to live for this life, but for the next. He invites us to invest in Him.
The apostle Paul also offers us the same investment opportunity: “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life” (Colossians 3:1-3).
To live wisely in the here and now, we must keep our focus on eternity. Only a life invested for Him will pay eternal dividends (Matthew 6:19-21). —K.T. Sim
Set your sights on the realities of heaven...Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life (Colossians 3:1-3).
Read more of what Jesus said about investing in heaven in Matthew 6:22-33.
What stuff of life is keeping you from following Jesus wholeheartedly? How will you invest for eternity today?
- Run with It! - Jesus is the author of life....read more
- Sacrificial Love - What does it mean for you to carry your cross?...read more
- Autograph of the Ordinary - Do you accept the truth that God is in your ordinary work?...read more
- The Gift of Love - How should you respond to such a great love?...read more
- Warm Welcome - How does warm hospitality reflect God’s loving heart?...read more
- In the Gap - What has God equipped you with to intercede for others?...read more
- Confession and Blessing - How does repentance reveal our faith and trust in Jesus?...read more
- Breaking the Mold - How are you sharing Jesus with the next generation?...read more
- Diseased Hearts - What are the implications of only God truly knowing the heart and being able to cure it?...read more
- To Make Them Better - To follow Jesus means we allow God to transform the whole of our life....read more
- Looking for Work? - Consider how God has uniquely equipped you....read more
- Out of the Blue - God intervened before we were aware of our need....read more
- Joy and Sadness - Is there sadness in your life you need to embrace?...read more
- Passion Unleashed - What gifts and talents has God given you?...read more
- Thankful for What? - How do your difficult times more clearly illustrate God’s power and redemption?...read more
- Where Desire Takes Us - What desires have you been wrestling with?...read more