Based on a True StoryWhat restoration has God brought to your life?
Top Christian Music Videos
Saturday November 9
investing for eternity
Jesus said that those who would be His disciples must do three things: “Turn from your selfish ways, take up your cross, and follow Me” (Matthew 16:24). Then He raised the bar even higher: “You must hate everyone else by comparison—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be My disciple” (Luke 14:26). Considering the hard realities of these requirements, why would anyone want to follow Him?
Thankfully, Jesus gave us the motivation for making such a radical commitment. Putting it in the first person: I turn from my selfish ways, take up my cross, and follow Christ because I am investing for eternity (Matthew 16:24-28).
It’s easy to become preoccupied with life on earth. What can Jesus do for me in the here and now? Can He help me get that promotion? Will Jesus heal me of my cancer?
Jesus spoke of two paradoxes: The person living only for himself will lose his life in the end, and losing the pleasure of sin is nothing compared with losing one’s soul eternally (vv.25-26). At His return, He’ll judge “all people according to their deeds” (v.27). Jesus is asking us not to live for this life, but for the next. He invites us to invest in Him.
The apostle Paul also offers us the same investment opportunity: “Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand. Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life” (Colossians 3:1-3).
To live wisely in the here and now, we must keep our focus on eternity. Only a life invested for Him will pay eternal dividends (Matthew 6:19-21). —K.T. Sim
Set your sights on the realities of heaven...Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth. For you died to this life (Colossians 3:1-3).
Read more of what Jesus said about investing in heaven in Matthew 6:22-33.
What stuff of life is keeping you from following Jesus wholeheartedly? How will you invest for eternity today?
- Based on a True Story - What restoration has God brought to your life?...read more
- New Beginnings - How has God equipped you to follow Him?...read more
- What's Important - How has God been training you lately?...read more
- Choosing to Forget - What painful memory is holding you back from peace with God?...read more
- Not about Fame - How has Jesus changed your life?...read more
- Faithful and True - What experiences have shaped your understanding of what it means to be faithful?...read more
- Living Houses of Prayer - What does it mean for you to be a living house of prayer?...read more
- Test of Courage - Read Proverbs 21:30-31 to see how true success depends on God....read more
- Calling on the Air - In what ways have you called on God for direction ?...read more
- Only the Beginning - What hope has God brought you today?...read more
- Disciplined for Freedom - Praise God and display your gratitude to Him today!...read more
- What Will We Become? - What does it mean for you to be God’s masterpiece?...read more
- Taking the Hate - Which portions of the Bible trouble you the most?...read more
- Not a Distant God - Read Romans 8:31-39 to be reminded of the intimate love God has for us....read more
- A Greater Power - Read Jeremiah 31:20-25 and consider the power of God’s restoration...read more
- Anger Management - Read Matthew 5:21-22 to see what Jesus said about anger and sin....read more